DoubleC

Sewing Machine Phobia

OK, so I need a sewing machine and I start watching the old singers on ebay. Everything I own is old and decided something that had lasted 50 years, maybe I couldn't hurt it. so I watch and watch and realize I'm seeing the same machines so much I start going to the newly listed instead. First time, BAM, there she was. The Green goddess.

1958 185J with green everything and a buy it now price. Green cords, original green belt, green foot, it was love at first sight. Right now EVERYTHING singer is being listed as heavy duty since people are taking an interest in the old machines, but she wasn't. Woman was honest, and I did a quick search on the internet and found a blog with a 185J on the front page (who also mentioned this trend) and said normal household stuff fine....denim fine.... occasional leather, she'll handle it. I bought her on the spot.

I've never machine sewed and I was totally lost until I downloaded a manual from singer. So now I can change needles, load the bobbin and get it back, catch the bobbin (is THAT cool how the needle does that) etc. I'm kinda ok on the tension, found the sweet spot for suede but I'm really afraid of using the machine. I don't want to break something kept so perfect all these years. So I decide I need ANOTHER singer I won't worry so much about. (I'm not doing any heavy duty stuff really, suede necklaces and the thread is just for decoration). And she hums along at it, it's an all metal 3/4s, weighs 2 ton, but very, very pretty.

so I find a 128. I read up on them and I figured ok, THERE'S a machine even I can't hurt. Now I look at it, and look at it, and look at parts for it and decide before I've ever even PAID for it, I probably could because it's pretty nice and over 100 years old. So I am giving her to a dear friend of mine that's been such a big help to me.

So now I'm bidding on a rusty, old Sphinx. I tried to get my friend to buy it because a lot of the missing parts on the 128 could be taken from it, but when she didn't I did. She wants to see exactly what the 128 needs, I saw the 127 had the right throat plates, and face plate, etc. and figured (ok, the 128 was $12.50 plus shipping, and the sphinx will probably sell for less than $50.00 total, not talking high finance here) why not take it from that machine because buying them individually would cost a lot more. So I bid because by NOW (I HATE ebay) I have already won a mission oak style treadle top for $9.99 I got for the 128 AND a beehive case in mint condition I bought for around that so I'd have something to put the 128 in until I get a treadle table put together and still have the same problem. Well two, addicted to auctions AND no machine for these things.

I have a question, honestly. Can I hurt a treadle machine like the 27 by occasionally sewing two thin piece of leather together say for a wallet? I'm getting singer poor fast but I LOVE these old things. In case you think I'm kidding, pic of the green goddess attached.

snip

I have a question, honestly. Can I hurt a treadle machine like the 27 by occasionally sewing two thin piece of leather together say for a wallet? I'm getting singer poor fast but I LOVE these old things. In case you think I'm kidding, pic of the green goddess attached.

You won't hurt the machine as long as limit the leather to soft to medium temper, about 3/16" maximum, with #69 bonded nylon thread and a #18 leather point needle. You will need to change the presser foot to either a Teflon foot, or a foot with little rollers inside, or the leather may drag on the foot. You will also need to lower the top pressure adjuster for more pressure to hold down the leather.

Set the stitch length to the maximum, which should be close to 5 or 6 stitches per inch.

Some old Singer machines cannot sew more than 7 to the inch, which is not so good for leather. Tiny stitches can cut right through soft or dry leather.

By contrast, modern walking foot sewing machines can sew 4 to the inch, into 3/8 inch of medium leather, using a #23 or #24 needle and #138 to #207 thread. Most have large bobbins that hold almost double the amount of thread as the old 27.

When you decide that it's time to move up to a more serious machine, get back in touch with us. PS: That machine will not be on eBay.

Edited by Wizcrafts

You won't hurt the machine as long as limit the leather to soft to medium temper, about 3/16" maximum, with #69 bonded nylon thread and a #18 leather point needle. You will need to change the presser foot to either a Teflon foot, or a foot with little rollers inside, or the leather may drag on the foot. You will also need to lower the top pressure adjuster for more pressure to hold down the leather.

Set the stitch length to the maximum, which should be close to 5 or 6 stitches per inch.

Some old Singer machines cannot sew more than 7 to the inch, which is not so good for leather. Tiny stitches can cut right through soft or dry leather.

By contrast, modern walking foot sewing machines can sew 4 to the inch, into 3/8 inch of medium leather, using a #23 or #24 needle and #138 to #207 thread. Most have large bobbins that hold almost double the amount of thread as the old 27.

When you decide that it's time to move up to a more serious machine, get back in touch with us. PS: That machine will not be on eBay.

Thanks Wiz. I won't need to move up yet because of the type of work I do. I initially started Double C hoping to do custom tack (not saddles, everything but) but after seeing all the tack makers on the internet and HERE who are struggling, I went another direction. I hope to use my custom 'In the Eye of a Horse' on smaller items for horse type people. Actually the eyes have a larger niche than even that although the rhythm beads don't. I really like what I'm doing and even now, bouncing around the forum have projects going. With a lot of help from a lot of people here my 'eyes' are like miniature works of art to me when I do them. They have given me a creative outlet along with a business outlet. The rhythm beads are an almost perfect balance because they are a repetitive activity not requiring the same concentration.

I really admire the people on here who can do Sheridan, or mold a holster perfectly, or make a saddle. But for right now, as long as I have a piece of leather in my hands I'm happy. Thank you for the info. Actually the 185J DID slice a piece of suede when I first started using it so I understand that. And since I seem to live on ebay I'll look for some roller feet. Cheryl

And since I seem to live on ebay I'll look for some roller feet. Cheryl

CC... you should look at http://www.shopgoodwill.com too

But be warned... each store charges their own handling fee and something shipping is expensive. But at least it helps Good Will. Make sure they accept your form of payment some only accept Visa or MC and you have to call them.

S

That's a good idea Syl. I still have the email on my desktop where you sent that url to me. Well I 'won' the $19.99 sewing machine about 15 minutes ago. Went to singer to download the manual and you know you bought an old machine when it tells you to oil it everyday right at the beginning, shows you where AND tells you to always use sperm oil. I don't think that's on the market legally anymore, is it? :-)