AndyL1

True Craftsmen

I'm sure you guys on here feel the same way about your leatherwork. I know I do!

http://www.swiss-miss.com/2012/03/dialogues-of-professionals-billykirk.html

Cheers,

Andy

I took a quick browse through the link (I've seen Billy Kirk goods before, though. Nice designs.), and I honestly can't get behind their concepts on wallets. The machine stitched stuff looks great and I'd buy any of it it a second, but it looks like they cut as many corners as possible on the true 'craftsmen' type stuff (the wallets with hand-stitching).

Using this wallet as an example: it's a small wallet but with a low stitch count. The holes are clearly made by a punch instead of an awl, and the edges are visibly unfinished.

I normally just hold my tongue in this sort of situation, since people are free to make or buy whatever they like, but when terms like 'true craftsmen', 'artisans', 'time-honored techniques", or "handmade" are used, I feel like I have to speak up so that the meaning of them isn't diluted, and consumers and fellow craftsmen know that there's a certain amount of skill needed to use these terms. When I learned true hand-made shoemaking in Budapest, I didn't have this opinion when I walked in, but by the time I left a month later, I really sympathised with my teachers views on this subject, and I always speak up about it when I see anyone tossing these terms around.

Edited by conceptdiba

I took a quick browse through the link (I've seen Billy Kirk goods before, though. Nice designs.), and I honestly can't get behind their concepts on wallets. The machine stitched stuff looks great and I'd buy any of it it a second, but it looks like they cut as many corners as possible on the true 'craftsmen' type stuff (the wallets with hand-stitching).

Using this wallet as an example: it's a small wallet but with a low stitch count. The holes are clearly made by a punch instead of an awl, and the edges are visibly unfinished.

I normally just hold my tongue in this sort of situation, since people are free to make or buy whatever they like, but when terms like 'true craftsmen', 'artisans', 'time-honored techniques", or "handmade" are used, I feel like I have to speak up so that the meaning of them isn't diluted, and consumers and fellow craftsmen know that there's a certain amount of skill needed to use these terms. When I learned true hand-made shoemaking in Budapest, I didn't have this opinion when I walked in, but by the time I left a month later, I really sympathised with my teachers views on this subject, and I always speak up about it when I see anyone tossing these terms around.

If I just saw the one you are talking about,....That rascal is just plain nasty!....And for $95.00???

I agree a 100% on that billfold being nasty !! But it's like this " if enough people say your the best often enough you become the best in peoples eyes " and everbody has to have one, see it happen several times. Doesn't matter if it's junk. i had a guy come in the shop once and ask me if i could sew up his billfold. Took a look at it and it was made out of plastic. Told him i couldn't fix and that it was made out of plastic and started telling me it was made by some big name fancy designer and he had paid $500.00 for it and that it wasn't plastic. I though it's true a fool is born ever minute !!

Funny I watched the video before I went to their website. I was impressed with their philosophy about the craft and how we live in a "throw away society". I'm sure these guys believe in their products, but yeah, that wallet is for the birds. Looks like it took half an hour to make. If they can pull in a hundred bucks for that I'm charging too low for my stuff! More power to them!

Cheers,

Andy

The wallet was more like a 30 minute job. And the belts for a $150. Let's see 3/4" dyed, buckle, somewhat finished edges, 20 minutes out the door. Just goes to show you, move to LA, look like a hipster and you should be getting 5 to 6 times what you are now. Oh, well back to the basement.

1333594030[/url]' post='242398']

Just goes to show you, move to LA, look like a hipster and you should be getting 5 to 6 times what you are now. Oh, well back to the basement.

Haha! True. True.

Oh boy!!! I am picky!! The word "Stocklist" is spelled "Stockist". That must be the kind of attention they pay to the making of that wallet.

I have seen youngsters in grade school do better than that.

I have a problem with folks telling a person that is just beginning in leather, that their work is beautiful when it isn't. I do not think doing that helps anyone.

I, as everyone else was a beginner at some time. I am still learning, every day.

ferg

Haha! True. True.

Beauty like many things in life is in the eye of the beholder. I personally can't stand abstract art but others find it intriguing and beautiful. Go figure!

Wow! uh just wow! Churn it out is right. With a wink he says right in the wallet description that this is churned out. I don't have near the nerve to ask someone $95 for that. But whatever floats their boat. I also don't have the ability or desire to assemble such a list of retailers that carry my product. If true it is quite impressive.

FWIW

Stockist-

— n

( Brit ) commerce a dealer who undertakes to maintain stocks of a specified product at or above a certain minimum in return for favourable buying terms granted by the manufacturer of the product

Hipsters love to use the arcane.

I'm thinking I need to change the title of this thread from "True Craftsmen" to "True Craftsmen?".:whistle:

While I do admire their philosophy on the craft.... 60 bucks for this? http://store.billykirk.com/store/product/240KF

Cripes! What I would like to know who is spending that kind of coin on what should be five or ten bucks and where can I find them!

Better would be true marketers!

I found this,

"BillyKirk — the equestrian, old school L.L. Bean, vintage industrial clothing inspired leather goods line, created by brothers Kirkland and Christopher Bray, is quickly making its well deserved mark on all those in the know. Together, brothers Chris and Kirk trained under a third generation leather maker for 3 years, eventually moving out to the east coast where they now work with Amish leather workers who are commissioned to handcraft their gorgeous bags and accessories with antique tools and old-world master-craftsman techniques. The result is a timeless, ruggedly durable, structured design they refer to as "the new vintage" that is sure to stand the test of time in both design and functionality."

Boy howdy if it was made by Amish workers with antique tools than it gosh darn has to be good. Amish sweatshops!?!?!

I don't believe a word of it...

The Emperor has no clothes!

Edited by TTcustom

I wonder what the Troop number is for their workers?

<br />I wonder what the Troop number is for their workers?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

BWhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Hey they have to get their badges too!

... work with Amish leather workers who are commissioned to handcraft their gorgeous bags and accessories with antique tools and old-world master-craftsman techniques."

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This is a complete insult and slap in the face to any master craftsmen. I could see an inexperienced, eager leatherworker selling wallets like those (as I unwisely did when I first started), but a company around since 1999 should know better.