Sign in to follow this  
Bob A

Flesh Out Holster Finish

I'm in the process of making a flesh out pocket holster and wondering what is the preferred method of finishing on a holster of this type. I want to keep the flesh side a little rough to help grab in the pocket, but should I use a finish of some sort? Thanks.

Bob

I'm in the process of making a flesh out pocket holster and wondering what is the preferred method of finishing on a holster of this type. I want to keep the flesh side a little rough to help grab in the pocket, but should I use a finish of some sort? Thanks.

Bob

I don't. Mike

Edited by katsass

I don't either. All I do is sand it till the grain length is even.

Thanks Guys. Most I've seen looked like there was no finish on them, but thought I would ask.

I use Aussie on the outter/rough side of my pocket mags....

I use Aussie on the outter/rough side of my pocket mags....

Does this tend to smooth the leather when you do this, or does it just absorb and keep the same texture?

Bob

It'll wind up being one of those things you do want to do, . . . or you don't want to do, . . . and only you can decide.

I've made them where there was nothing at all done to the outside, . . . and I've made them where I finish the inside and outside with Resolene just like a regular holster.

The Resolene makes for a much firmer holster, . . . but a little slicker in the pocket. It's a trade off, . . . and you alone can determine which way is best for you.

May God bless,

Dwight

Does this tend to smooth the leather when you do this, or does it just absorb and keep the same texture?

Bob

Bob,

I use Aussie on the flesh side on all of my rigs.... it'll only smooth it out if you try to burnish it after applying or it's inside a holster.... on any flesh side out rig I apply it as one of my last steps before completion.... I use a cheap foam brush to apply the Aussie keeping a fairly thin layer.... after letting it soak in for 30 minutes or so I do a few passes back and forth over it with a heat gun.... any of the Aussie that didn't soak in will turn to liquid and quickly soak in.... I've personally found without doing this it takes a lot longer it to completely soak in and you can easily wind up with a greasy feeling rig....

below are a couple pocket rigs and a stamped IWB that have all had the flesh sides treated this way....

Josh

300251_280215215332102_113744765312482_928022_673660740_n.jpg

397609_313929598627330_113744765312482_1028328_384193591_n.jpg

377970_305540886132868_113744765312482_1004484_425862363_n.jpg

Thanks for the info Josh. Nice looking work by the way.

Bob