Sign in to follow this  
BurnTheBarrels

Reversing Some Stamping?

I wasn't sure where to put this, so hopefully it's in the right place.

I have a noseband with my old horse's name stamped into it (did it a while before I sold him since I thought he was gonna turn out different). I was wondering if there's some sort of fill or way to reverse the stamping? Kinda like how wood has that putty stuff?

I wasn't sure where to put this, so hopefully it's in the right place.

I have a noseband with my old horse's name stamped into it (did it a while before I sold him since I thought he was gonna turn out different). I was wondering if there's some sort of fill or way to reverse the stamping? Kinda like how wood has that putty stuff?

NO it is not..so make a new nose band or sew another pc of leather on to the original.

I was wondering if there's some sort of fill or way to reverse the stamping? Kinda like how wood has that putty stuff?

While there is no way to puff up the stamping... you can use a back-grounding tool, and camouflage the name. I've done this a few times. The issue I've found is that if the leather is cut you will always see the cut in some manner. I've solved that so varying degrees by opening the cuts with a very pointy stylus and putting some leather bond in the cut and pressing it down well prior to trying to back-grounding. Allow the glue to dry, then dampen with a sponge, wait until it's ready to be worked and go to town with your backgrounding tool. I've also used a pear shader to help with the process. The idea is to create a panel with texture where the name or initials were. Now, everything I've done like this didn't have a final coat of sealer or finish. They were pieces from an old kit that someone didn't complete... or did poorly or they were pieces where something went horribly wrong during dyeing. (Like the wrong color)

You won't be able to re-stamp the area with another name... but you can buy silver conchos and place them in the panel.

It's up to you if you want to try to salvage this. If you need it perfect... do replace the piece. If you just need a working piece of tack... background that baby... redye it... and get on with life. :D

Thanks for the tips Sylvia. I've been looking at crystals to start some small blinged out projects (not a huge fan of it myself but I suddenly got a craze to start making shiny things for others). So if that works out and holds up, who knows where it can take me? :P

Even on finished stuff, I have moistened the back side and have done some additional stamping where something was missed. Takes longer to "case" and longer to dry after. It's a last resort type of thing.

For cuts (or cracks in dried out) leather, I have opened the cut/crack and used superglue. On something that has been oiled, it takes a few applications of superglue before it begins to hold. You may have to carefully remove a ridge of glue after.

CTG