UKRay

Old leatherworking machines - Show and tell

As I looked around my little space I couldn't find much in the way of old machinery to post pictures of...and then I saw these! They've served me pretty well over the years, however, I am not always able to control them the way I'd like to. Manufactured in the early 50's they have seen some wear, tear and abuse, but are still pretty serviceable.

:banana:

Bob

Hands__L_.jpg

Amazing old tools ! You don´t happen to have a second pair to sell or trade? :cheers:

Edited by oldtimer

This has nothing to do with sewing machines, but left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Somebody sent this to me today.

Sit down, pick up your right foot slightly and move it around in a clockwise motion. Now with your right hand Draw a figure six in the air. Your foot automatically switches to counter clockwise motion.(anti clockwise)

Kevin

Amazing old tools ! You don´t happen to have a second pair to sell or trade? :cheers:

Sure wish I did! I could sure use an extra every now and then! My wife just informed me, however, that if we did have an extra pair, she wouldn't let them go! :thumbsup:

Steve,

Nice machines. In the third picture with the hole punching machine there is a black machine to the left of the picture. What is that? From the little I can see it looks interesting.

Nice machine everyone else has as well.

Cheers,

Henry

Hi Ray and all,

Here are is a closer look at some of the leather machines we have in our workshop.

The first is a thermal folding machine, manufactured by BUSM in 1977. This will fold and glue the edges of pre-skived leather. It uses a hot-melt glue, held in a heated reservoir, at the top.

The second is an 'Epoch' automatic, powered eyelet setting machine. Designed for shoes, of course, but great for belts etc.

The third is a auto belt and strap hole punching machine, made by Merkle about 1970.

Four and five are strap cutters, one by BUSM the other a copy made by B&J Wright.

Six is an 'Express' leather cutting machine, made by E.J. Murphy. This has a round blade, like a 'bacon slicer' and can be used to cut large hides into more manageable pieces (I guess, I've never actually used it!).

Steve

folder.jpg epoch_2.jpg merkle_punch_2.jpg bu_strapcutter_2.jpg

bj_wright_strapcutter.jpg murphy_cutter.jpg

Steve,

Nice machines. In the third picture with the hole punching machine there is a black machine to the left of the picture. What is that? From the little I can see it looks interesting.

Nice machine everyone else has as well.

Cheers,

Henry

Hi Henry,

Oh yes, that! It's a Singer 16Ksv23 light-weight, corner stitching machine. They were designed, mainly, for making mens 'Tray' purses.

Here's some better pics:

singer_16ksv21.jpgsinger_16ksv21_back.jpg

I presume you received my email, regarding your questions about the Singer 45Ksv100.

Steve

post-7482-1237131677_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1237131751_thumb.jpg

Edited by SteveBrambley

Steve,

Yes, I did receive your email about the singer 45ksv100. Thank you. I am still trying to get a price from someone who has one to sell possibly. I will send you some pictures of it so you can tell me if it is complete or not.

I also love this black Singer. These machines have answered two perplexing questions I have had for years about how some things were made. I know that those little tray coin purses are popular in Europe but they are not seen much over here. It also reminds me of those little leather cases that hold shot glasses. That is another mystery as to how those are sewn. I suppose you have a machine that does those as well!!

Even the most experienced machine dealer I know over here (40 years experience) was not able to answer these questions. Sounds like I need to go on a field trip to England and your shop so I can clear up some mysteries in my life!!.

I love these different machines and have personally specialized in restoring Pearson no. 6 machines. I have a bunch to do so when I get a chance I will post some pictures on this thread as well. I even have some French ones that are a little different from the English ones.

Thanks again steve.

Henry

Hi Henry,

Oh yes, that! It's a Singer 16Ksv23 light-weight, corner stitching machine. They were designed, mainly, for making mens 'Tray' purses.

Here's some better pics:

I presume you received my email, regarding your questions about the Singer 45Ksv100.

Steve

Okay, I ASSUME, i've gone and done another stupid thing. I'm looking at months of head scratching, and wallet outlays for this contraption.

I was alerted by a friend yesterday of an old machine at the local flea market. I ran down, and I found this tripod Landis 12k. No pulleys, no lower motor, and the cracked casting you see in the pics. What a mess. But there was still thread in it, so I'm guessing, they dropped it moving it, and hoping it's still functional after I get it together.

The $75 price tag, I couldn't resist, so there it is in my truck, this morning.

I'm going to a welder friend's house tonight and see what he thinks can be done. He's a wizard, so if it can be done, he can do it. If all goes well, I'll show an upright picture tomorrow, or so. Then we can begin the restoration process. Please don't ask why I needed it, or why I bought it....I bring home stray mangy mutts too...lol.

Somebody, Stop me!!!

HPIM1840.JPG

HPIM1841.JPG

post-5140-1237222531_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1237222539_thumb.jpg

It can be repaired by welding but you will have to remove it from the machine.

china

Steve,

Yes, I did receive your email about the singer 45ksv100. Thank you. I am still trying to get a price from someone who has one to sell possibly. I will send you some pictures of it so you can tell me if it is complete or not.

I also love this black Singer. These machines have answered two perplexing questions I have had for years about how some things were made. I know that those little tray coin purses are popular in Europe but they are not seen much over here. It also reminds me of those little leather cases that hold shot glasses. That is another mystery as to how those are sewn. I suppose you have a machine that does those as well!!

Even the most experienced machine dealer I know over here (40 years experience) was not able to answer these questions. Sounds like I need to go on a field trip to England and your shop so I can clear up some mysteries in my life!!.

I love these different machines and have personally specialized in restoring Pearson no. 6 machines. I have a bunch to do so when I get a chance I will post some pictures on this thread as well. I even have some French ones that are a little different from the English ones.

Thanks again steve.

Henry

Hi Henry,

Here's some better pics:

Steve

Hi Henry,

If you should be offered a 45Ksv100, there are one or two things you will need to check on, before buying. I'll give you more details in due course.

BTW I should have said that the 'Tray' purse corner stitcher was a 16Ksv21, not a sv23. Sorry, bad memory!

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

Well. I promised, so here are a few pix of the Landis 12K I picked up.

I brought it over a friend's house last night, and we welded the base casting split. Nickel Cad welding rod did the trick. I still have to file/grind down the welds, etc.

I contacted Pilgrim Shoe today, and they are sending the parts, and manual out. Parts, they say, will not be a problem.

He was amazed at the $75 I paid for it, but did say there are quite a few out there functioning, that can be had for cheap, maybe $1000-2000, because so many shoe shops are/have gone out of business. He sells his reconditioned for $4500. He suggested getting one that runs, and using this for parts. I doubt I'll run into another one, so it looks like I'm going to try and restore it.

For youse that don't know..this is an outsole stitcher, curved needle and awl, for stitching soles on shoes., or for that matter any heavy leather (like gunbelts).

HPIM1846.JPG

HPIM1849.JPG

HPIM1852.JPG

HPIM1853.JPG

post-5140-1237320948_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1237320958_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1237320967_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1237320977_thumb.jpg

I have what some call a Pearson. Made in UK. The flywheel reads British United Machinery Co. Leicester England. The John (something) of Montreal Sole Agents. Anyway it's a big honkin machine powered by "moi", either by flywheel or treadle. Best ever for stitching fleece to saddle skirting. The finite stich control allows me to reuse the original stitching holes for a nice clean job. Someone painted it brick red.

Here are a few of my leather working tools when I first got them and before I cleaned them up. The big machine is an edger that edges all 4 sides at once.

edger.jpeg

leathertools.jpeg

post-8022-1237737257_thumb.jpg

post-8022-1237737268_thumb.jpg

I have what some call a Pearson. Made in UK. The flywheel reads British United Machinery Co. Leicester England. The John (something) of Montreal Sole Agents. Anyway it's a big honkin machine powered by "moi", either by flywheel or treadle. Best ever for stitching fleece to saddle skirting. The finite stich control allows me to reuse the original stitching holes for a nice clean job. Someone painted it brick red.

Also known as a BUSM No.6

I restore these and have on that I painted brick red as well. I never thought I'd ever hear of another one painted that colour. NOW I will have to go paint mine lemon yellow just to be different I guess.

Cheers,

Henry

Toronto, Ontario

I restore these and have on that I painted brick red as well. I never thought I'd ever hear of another one painted that colour. NOW I will have to go paint mine lemon yellow just to be different I guess.

Cheers,

Henry

Toronto, Ontario

Henry yellow has already been done. One of the Pearson's I bought from Don King before he passed away was painted bright yellow with black trim. It was actually a well done job and looked very classy. Greg And john visser had a green one a few years ago as well.

Henry yellow has already been done. One of the Pearson's I bought from Don King before he passed away was painted bright yellow with black trim. It was actually a well done job and looked very classy. Greg And john visser had a green one a few years ago as well.

Greg,

Any chance of a picture of the yellow Pearson; I imagine it looks beautiful!

Cheers,

Henry

Here is an old skiving machine that I got for free from a friend a while ago ( JEM in this forum).

This morning I took the bull by its horns, cleaned the machine, took away all rust, turned the switch on, sharpened the knife and started figureing out how to get the machine working. I turned screws and knobs and suddenly the miracle happened ! - It started skiving leather ! It works ! I think I´ll have to buy me a lottery ticket ?

The skiver is german and is labeled " Fortschritt" which is ( correct me if I am wrong) "Progress" in english. Yes, I made some fortschritt with this machine!

/ Knut

P1010070.JPG

post-5173-1239038560_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldtimer

Here is an old skiving machine that I got for free from a friend a while ago ( JEM in this forum).

This morning I took the bull by its horns, cleaned the machine, took away all rust, turned the switch on, sharpened the knife and started figureing out how to get the machine working. I turned screws and knobs and suddenly the miracle happened ! - It started skiving leather ! It works ! I think I´ll have to buy me a lottery ticket ?

The skiver is german and is labeled " Fortschritt" which is ( correct me if I am wrong) "Progress" in english. Yes, I made some fortschritt with this machine!

/ Knut

Once you get proficient in working with this machine, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it!

Steve

Once you get proficient in working with this machine, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it!

Steve

Amen to that. I use my bell knife a lot more than I thought I would.

Steve

You should have seen the big smile on my face :) when I had it all figured out and it started to skive leather ! I guess it will save an hour or two in the long run. Trial and error works ! ( I call it the monkey method)

Here are a few articles I wrote on the old needle and awl machines.....

NEEDLE & AWL MACHINES

The BOSWORTH & the CYCLONE

And another on splitters....

SPLITTERS

Just a little history to go with your machines.

Thank you for the link. I now know my landis is a number 30!

I think the other one is a "krebs". So is that the style, or the brand name of it?

How much should I be insuring these for, if you dont mind me asking?

I would post pics, does photobucket work for everyone here, or is there a better way?

I will try photobucket in this post, for my old american boot stitcher. This would be before we cleaned off the few lbs of wax stuck to the front of it!

DSC00847.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

Hope this works

Edited by Janice

:Holysheep: Sorry, those look awful big. I wont post any more till someone teaches me how to do it like everyone elses. :no:

Janice,

Those pictures are alright, keep posting. There is a tutorial on posting pictures as attachments here - uploading pictures as attachments. They do need to be resized to under 1 MB I think, but down to about 200-300 kb seems to work well. Especially show the splitters, we like splitters......

Ok, thanks for that link!

Here come the splitters, and I will put the plow gauge knife in the other post.

DSC01401.JPG

DSC01402.JPG

post-10187-1239772379_thumb.jpg

post-10187-1239772387_thumb.jpg