ReneeCanady

Airbrushed Look

Does anyone know how to get the airburshed look using leather dyes? I came across a nice project today, but it looked like they used an airbrush. When I read the item description it said it had been hand dyed. It was almsot all baby blue but in the center of each part was solid white that sprinkled out into the blue, like an airbrush sprinkle. I am guessing it was done with acrylic paint dyes, but I have tried a few ways on scrap leather and it's just not right.

You can get a very similar effect using a bristle brush by loading it dry and working from the edges of the area you want to shade in towards the middle. Peter Main's books on coloring provide very good instruction on this technique.

You can get a very similar effect using a bristle brush by loading it dry and working from the edges of the area you want to shade in towards the middle. Peter Main's books on coloring provide very good instruction on this technique.

Which book is that? I've been looking for more information on coloring techniques.

Does anyone know how to get the airburshed look using leather dyes? I came across a nice project today, but it looked like they used an airbrush. When I read the item description it said it had been hand dyed. It was almsot all baby blue but in the center of each part was solid white that sprinkled out into the blue, like an airbrush sprinkle. I am guessing it was done with acrylic paint dyes, but I have tried a few ways on scrap leather and it's just not right.

Kate's got the right idea with the bristle brush (aka Stippling brush). They can most commonly be found in art/craft stores with the stenciling crafts. It's is also possible to do via airbrush. The technique involves turning the air pressure down low (1/2 or normal or less) and then triggering for a large load of paint causing the stippling effect. At the low pressure, the airbrush doesn't atomize the dye/paint nearly as much and ends up spitting it out instead of a controlled spray. Another cheap alternative is a tooth brush. It can be used as a traditional stippling brush for controlled areas/effects and if you want a wider, even more random pattern, load the tooth brush with dye/paint and then run your finger over the bristles like fanning a deck of cards. The 'snap back' action of the bristles will cause them to make a nice chaotic spray pattern but again, this is for less controlled results.

Hope that helps!

Chris

[Which book is that? I've been looking for more information on coloring techniques.

Bottom book: "The Main Technique of Coloring Leather". Drop Peter a line via his email below, he gets them sent out fairly quickly. Worth every penny of the $20.

I own that one and the "Australian Leather Carving" and refer back to them when I need some inspiration. (image is linked via Peter's website).

He also produces one of the nicest modeling tools I have seen but doesn't advertise them as they are made in small lots and the wait list is usually a batch or so deep. I got one a year ago and it handles 95% of all my modeling tasks.

publications.jpg

Edited by Spinner

post-30767-055933700 1335435135_thumb.jpSee this is the item I am talking about, I love the idea. Might even just be the colors on her that look so nice. Thanks all for your responses!! Edited by ReneeCanady

post-30767-055933700 1335435135_thumb.jpSee this is the item I am talking about, I love the idea. Might even just be the colors on her that look so nice. Thanks all for your responses!!

Looks a bit like the results from two tone rag dying - leatherlearn website

http://www.youtube.com/embed/MQ7zgeGavKw

post-30767-055933700 1335435135_thumb.jpSee this is the item I am talking about, I love the idea. Might even just be the colors on her that look so nice. Thanks all for your responses!!

I'm thinking airbrush. It's very common to see items called hand dyed and use a variety of techniques. It also appears to be dye base colors (white & blue/green) and then hand painted acrylics for the decorative patterns. That semi-metallic/irridescent silver isn't possible with dyes, it would need to be a top coating type of medium like a stain or acrylic.

I'm also thinking airbrush was used due to the overspray, which wouldn't happen with bristle or rag. If you look closely at the chestpiece section, main panel you can see where the overspray collected in the wrinkles of the leather when doing the fade out (blue shadow effect on the inner most ridges). It's a common thing to see this when doing fade outs to the inside versus the outside of the piece. At first I thought it could simply be lighting/ambient color reflected from one of the other pieces like how snow looks at early evening but then realized that it's a flat finish & none of the other pieces show a hint of reflecting ambient colors at any angle.

I'm thinking airbrush. It's very common to see items called hand dyed and use a variety of techniques. It also appears to be dye base colors (white & blue/green) and then hand painted acrylics for the decorative patterns. That semi-metallic/irridescent silver isn't possible with dyes, it would need to be a top coating type of medium like a stain or acrylic.

I agree, it definitely looks like it was "hand dyed" using an airbrush. If you aren't determined to do it without the use of an airbrush, that is the method I would prefer. Although there are times when it's really useful to know how to get a similar effect using other methods. As Domino mentioned, the rag method is another way, but I use that when I want the piece to have a little more of a crude/distressed/rustic appearance.

My thoughts exactly Spinner. As for the two rag method, that was actually one way I did try and it looks nice, but it wasn't near the same as the image I posted. However, the two rag results were pretty neat in an entire different way. I was wondering if that effect was even able to be done with dye, and I see that it is :) Eitherway, I am going to pass on it for now I suppose, but will be getting an airbrush in my future lol! I am attempting to make that set although I am a newb it's coming along ok so far. I am worried about the breast part the most. I think I have managed to copy everything else pretty closely. The good news about the breasts is I kept the patter I made so I can just make it smaller, more round, more pointy etc.. if need be.

My thoughts exactly Spinner. As for the two rag method, that was actually one way I did try and it looks nice, but it wasn't near the same as the image I posted. However, the two rag results were pretty neat in an entire different way. I was wondering if that effect was even able to be done with dye, and I see that it is :) Eitherway, I am going to pass on it for now I suppose, but will be getting an airbrush in my future lol! I am attempting to make that set although I am a newb it's coming along ok so far. I am worried about the breast part the most. I think I have managed to copy everything else pretty closely. The good news about the breasts is I kept the patter I made so I can just make it smaller, more round, more pointy etc.. if need be.

Check out Harbor Freight for a decent airbrush. They have a model that is based on the Badger 155/200 that runs about $20 and can be hooked up to compressed gas cans in lieu of a compressor. If you have a little more budget, then keep an eye on their sales as they have a airbrush kit that includes the same airbrush along with a small tankless compressor and hoses for around $100. they also send out 20% off coupons regularly if you get on their ad mailing list.

As far as the breast area, what issues are you having? Are you using a mannequin to wet form? It appears to me that the two main cup halves would be attached and formed with the upper breast plate and then once partially defined, the top center piece could be attached for a final fitting. From there is the attachment to the spaulders and so on. In the absence of a dress form or mannequin, having someone help you do a paper mache casting of yourself and then filling that with plaster of paris to make it rigid is an economical way to go.

Chris

Actually, I started making the entire breast plate before I found this exact one. It was made by the same person and is the same with the exception of the breast cups. The one I started copying has round breast cups with stitching making it round. Basically I cut a circle close to what I thought was my size, cut a triangle out so it looked like pacmac lol, which in turn let me make it a round cup with the "cup" look. However, I do like this one MUCH better. Since it's my first trial I will continue with what I have for the cups. If it doesn't work out, I will try this. Truely this cup looks a bit more ideal to make since you have a few pieces to work with and make work. I wish I had a manniquin to mold from. I did try something I found on youtube that was wearing a tank top, and wrapping yourself in duct tape (kinda what they do at ren faires with the form fitting boots) and cutting it off by the back. It made a decent but bumpy form except it was not firm at all really. I do like your thought about the paper mache/plaster of paris stuff! I just might try that. I really think that molded breasts would make it look so much nicer. As for the airbrush, I had no idea you could get them for $20 not to mention I had no idea you could get them for $100 with the tank! That is great news. Thanks for all your help Spinner!

Actually, I started making the entire breast plate before I found this exact one. It was made by the same person and is the same with the exception of the breast cups. The one I started copying has round breast cups with stitching making it round. Basically I cut a circle close to what I thought was my size, cut a triangle out so it looked like pacmac lol, which in turn let me make it a round cup with the "cup" look. However, I do like this one MUCH better. Since it's my first trial I will continue with what I have for the cups. If it doesn't work out, I will try this. Truely this cup looks a bit more ideal to make since you have a few pieces to work with and make work. I wish I had a manniquin to mold from. I did try something I found on youtube that was wearing a tank top, and wrapping yourself in duct tape (kinda what they do at ren faires with the form fitting boots) and cutting it off by the back. It made a decent but bumpy form except it was not firm at all really. I do like your thought about the paper mache/plaster of paris stuff! I just might try that. I really think that molded breasts would make it look so much nicer. As for the airbrush, I had no idea you could get them for $20 not to mention I had no idea you could get them for $100 with the tank! That is great news. Thanks for all your help Spinner!

Not a problem, glad to help. Be sure to show off the armor when you get it made.

Side note, for making breast cup forms without doing a whole upper body cast you can fill a sock with rice or beads to the appropriate fullness and then wrap in saran wrap (to keep moisture from the wet forming out). The nice thing about that instead of a hard cast is that you can move the filler around, compress it, etc to get the exact style of cup you want (full cup, push-up, etc).

By the way, the airbrush & airbrush set I was talking about is on sale right now:

http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html