Sign in to follow this  
Highlands858

Paint

Hi.

For paints, I believe that acrylics are the most popular. Not sure if you can use anything else.

For dyes, spirit based (including so-called "oil dyes") seem to have better penetration, however, there's a recent thread in the finishes sections about getting good results with water-based dyes.

Here it is: http://leatherworker...showtopic=38260

PPS I'm not a pro by the way=) Just collating the dye info I've read on this forum.

Edited by Chavez

As an artist (before starting with leather) I have all these wonderful oilpaints at home...I did a trialround with the oil paints on leather and now around 4-5 years ago the pieces is just as beautiful as the day I painted it :-)

post-5624-056596300 1335680014_thumb.jpg

Some post here recently said oil paint peals when the leather is flexed. Do a search, there is lots of info already posted.

CTG

I'm no expert but all I use are water based paints, and mostly water based dyes too. I paint on 2" conchos and water is way more forgiving. I picked an odd specialty for someone with shaky hands.