Johanna

Working for Tandy

Working for Tandy/LF  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you work, or have you ever worked for Tandy?

• Yes.
    • No, but I want to.
    • No, and never will.
    • No, but it might be fun.
    • Yes, I used to, and I would again.
  2. 2. If you worked for Tandy, what would be your strength?

• Sales
    • Teaching
    • Business and retail skills
    • Knowing the inventory
    • Customer Service
    • other (explain)
  3. 3. Do you use Tandy as a supplier?

• Yes, all the time
    • Yes, sometimes for some things
    • Yes, only in a pinch
    • No. No way! Ha ha ha!
    • No, they don't have what I need.
    • No, they are too expensive.
    • No, quality stinks.
    • No, other reason. (explain)
  4. 4. For people who have/do work for Tandy: What do you like best about your job?

• The customers
    • Tandy higher-ups
    • Being surrounded by tools and leather
    • Sundays off
    • Working on demo projects
    • Teaching classes
    • Job benefits
    • Having the power to satisfy the customers
    • Finding out about new things first
    • Never running out of supplies at home/ free shipping
    • Knowing you're making a difference in leather land
    • Getting experience
    • Does not apply to me

Good advice, Alcove, about making lessons and instruction as painless as possible for the institutions. When I was with Tandy, a similar strategy was used for camps, churches, schools, etc. There is a big interest in leather, but its perceived high cost and complication can be intimidating to the people that are responsible for implementing these kinds of programs. No one wants to spend a gazillion dollars and then look bad to their boss when they don't know how to do the craft that was presented. We were happy to take the lower profit margin in exchange for the higher volume sale, and (with luck!) some repeat customers who were intrigued by the whole thing, as a result of the instruction provided.

Many leatherworkers have learned the art in institutional settings...military, hospitals, prison, schools, camps, and so on, and continued after the initial exposure. Tandy has traditionally been the source for supplies and teaching, thus perpetuating leatherwork as a viable therapy, or other learning, alternative.

Johanna

Johanna,

Having spent time with Bob Brown and Ellis Barnes I have been given several versions of the beginnings of the craft. Bob did what I beleave was the first instruction packet on leather craft. They sold some but not a lot in fact he still had a bunch that I brought to the federation show and sold 40 years later. Brown had two students that would end up shaping Tandy as we know it. One was T Joey Smith and the other Al Stohlman. Brown gave Smith a set of tools that he brought to Dick Mc Ghan (sp) that ended up being craftool. Smith was also responsable for many of the original designs sold through Tandy. What Charles Tandy really brought to the market was distributrion. As an artist Brown could blow Stohlman out of the water but he ended up working for the sherifs department because he had no distribution and none of his high end clients payed him. Stohlman found away of making a living through Tandy. The craft would not be where it is today with out those alignments. The thing to understand though is that this craft is a tough way to a make a living and Tandy love them or hate them have allowed the art to expand. Stohlman took Brown's ideas and really expanded them in the carving area. Now people like Peter Main and Paul Burnett are adding to that.

David Genadek

David - I am interested in the early history of the craft. Has any of this been documented in a single volume? If not, what sources are available to get this information. I am interested in collected and compiling this information so that it is not lost.

Edited by Cecil

Alcoveshop,

Would you elaborate more on what you are actually doing? Are you woring with public schools? What grades/ages?

Thanks

Tandy (many years ago) had a "drop in the lap" program so teachers could incorporate leatherwork into the system- I used that system (I had alot of that reference material) to redesign my own (bringing it up to date and removing the need for "company" specific materials/tools.) <-- Since I no longer manage for them. I feel my system is better tailored to specific market groups because the "other" way leaves suggested materials/themes up to someone "down south" who may not have a grasp on regional "tastes".

I set up plans for elementary through high school- these are full semester curriculums so all they need do is say "yes". Key points (for me)

during this pitch has been emphasis on domestic materials, local pride (in my case state, since Im already travelling from one side of the state to the other and its not even February yet!) and my knowedge of the industry, and tenure for teaching for so many years.

Lastly, another notch for you is to be prepared to go to these schools and do a few freebies- I just did a demo at a regional teachers conference that got me in touch with 8 counties and all thier schools systems in one fell swoop.

I'm also working on a up to date program for hospital rehabilitation; my next door neighbor is on the state board of directors so I'll let you know how that one turns out! B)

David - I am interested in the early history of the craft. Has any of this been documented in a single volume? If not, what sources are available to get this information. I am interested in collected and compiling this information so that it is not lost.

None that I know of. It is hard because so much of it is just the perspecitve of an individual. Bob Brown was pretty credible because he considered himself a historian and he had documentation on everything. On the other hand someone like Barnes you have to sort through what your told. Barnes liked to make a point that he went and urinated on Tandy's grave so I suppose if you compiled enough info you might get a cogent line of thuoght. Verlane and I used to compare notes on things and it was always fun to look at things from all the diffrent views. Browns daughters may have some info avalible from his perpective. He was pretty bitter about some of the things that had happened. When artist meet business that is bound to happen.

David Genadek

Tandy (many years ago) had a "drop in the lap" program so teachers could incorporate leatherwork into the system- I used that system (I had alot of that reference material) to redesign my own (bringing it up to date and removing the need for "company" specific materials/tools.) <-- Since I no longer manage for them. I feel my system is better tailored to specific market groups because the "other" way leaves suggested materials/themes up to someone "down south" who may not have a grasp on regional "tastes".

I set up plans for elementary through high school- these are full semester curriculums so all they need do is say "yes". Key points (for me)

during this pitch has been emphasis on domestic materials, local pride (in my case state, since Im already travelling from one side of the state to the other and its not even February yet!) and my knowedge of the industry, and tenure for teaching for so many years.

Lastly, another notch for you is to be prepared to go to these schools and do a few freebies- I just did a demo at a regional teachers conference that got me in touch with 8 counties and all thier schools systems in one fell swoop.

I'm also working on a up to date program for hospital rehabilitation; my next door neighbor is on the state board of directors so I'll let you know how that one turns out! B)

A few years ago I participated in a thing called the Horse Gathering which as a week long eduction clinic for hores owners. One of the people that was involved is an expert in adult education and he presented on how people learn. We had horse people from all over the world and experts in every area of horsmanship but that presentatioin is the one that really grabbed people. My point is why don't we have people like you giving presentations on how to create programs and teach at leather shows? I think instead of everyone complaining about Tandy we should help them build the craft.

David Genadek

A few years ago I participated in a thing called the Horse Gathering which as a week long eduction clinic for hores owners. One of the people that was involved is an expert in adult education and he presented on how people learn. We had horse people from all over the world and experts in every area of horsmanship but that presentatioin is the one that really grabbed people. My point is why don't we have people like you giving presentations on how to create programs and teach at leather shows? I think instead of everyone complaining about Tandy we should help them build the craft.

David Genadek

Without going into too much detail, "them" isnt Tandy anymore; leave it at that. The craft can be built by anyone- While I have my own vision, someone else does Im sure. The problem with relying on one or two companys to dictate (used loosely mind you) the materials we use, the methods we utilize, and other facets (of any business really) you find eventually the old adage comes into play: "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely".

In order for true progression to take place, you must have competition, you must see power changing hands- this inspires creativity.

To answer your question at the end directly, I, as well as other managers have been suggesting for years some of these systems/methods, and its usually not until the stock drops or the economy takes a crap that some things get put into play, and by then its a stagnant, shoddy "fix it quick" methodology that comes into the final work. I can get pretty ugly and know too much about whats going on these days to allow myself to care about it anymore; instead I'm doing what everyone else should be doing; enjoying the craft, and offering up what *I* want to leave with a mark, not be intimidated or dictated to as far as direction, product or execution of my time while enjoying the craft.

None that I know of. It is hard because so much of it is just the perspecitve of an individual. Bob Brown was pretty credible because he considered himself a historian and he had documentation on everything. On the other hand someone like Barnes you have to sort through what your told. Barnes liked to make a point that he went and urinated on Tandy's grave so I suppose if you compiled enough info you might get a cogent line of thuoght. Verlane and I used to compare notes on things and it was always fun to look at things from all the diffrent views. Browns daughters may have some info avalible from his perpective. He was pretty bitter about some of the things that had happened. When artist meet business that is bound to happen.

David Genadek

How could I contact Browns daughters?

I used to work for Tandy , my sister still does. Good people , great networking. Through Tandy i now work for a Stropping Company.If i had not started at Tandy i would never have become a leather artist. I love what i do and i love the people in this company. Besides, it is 15 minutes from my home. To me what better way to buy the product then to touch the product.

kimber

This is not a thread for Tandy bashing. Like it or hate it, Tandy is THE retailer for most people who like to work with leather as a hobby. Tandy has had an enormous influence on the leatherworking psyche, as well as the materials and tools we frequently see.

I liked working for Tandy, but I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut at IFoLG shows about it. When people found out I worked for Tandy, they kinda rolled their eyes. A couple of people here have almost apologized for working there. ("Don't hold it against me!") Right or wrong, that's silly. Working for Tandy is an honest living, even if otherwise professional people want to throw rotten tomatoes at you.

I thought it would be interesting to address the elephant in the room- have you ever thought about working for Tandy?

Johanna

How could I contact Browns daughters?

I don't know Bob didn't talk about them much. I asked him once and he said they didn't care about the leather stuff then Jolly piped in and told me they lived in Orange county. You could contact the Cowboy hall of fame to see what they know. The Historical sociaty in Big Bear City could be of help also. Bob was very active in that. Bill Gomer spent some time with him too.

David Genadek

In my industry we have a 400lb Gorilla that everyone loves to hate. The American Poolplayer's Association (APA). The APA has done more to bring the average person to pool than any other organization and maintains 260,000 members who play on a weekly basis. Still all the "diehards" love to denigrate the APA for everything from it's policies to the lower skill level of it's members.

I can vividly remember getting a Tandy wallet kit with everything I needed to decorate and build it. I got several things like this during my childhood for birthdays and Christmases. If it weren't for those small inviting little Tandy stores then I doubt that many of us would have been introduced to leather crafting or the joy of making things with our hands.

I wasn't aware that Tandy was a taboo topic in the leather crafter's world. Oh well, I always color outside the lines too.... And I haven't spent any time at the IFOLG(???) forum so I wouldn't know about the "Tandy" issue there either.

To me TLF isn't trying to control the leather worker's industry - I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. To me they are a struggling chain of stores trying to survive in a world where it SEEMS as though most people consider hand work to be mastering a video game. To me they are the APA of leather working and provide all that a beginning through serious hobbyist needs to create nice things. But like any serious hobbyist and business owner knows, once you reach a certain stage you have to look around at what else is out there.