cwa11is

brutally honest criticism sub forum?

Missed one from Kate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly my thought. If you want a thorough analysis of the quality of your work by the others on the forum, post it in "Critique My Work!", and put on your kevlar vest. And those of you who respond, please refrain from posting the same kind of "oooh, ahhh" feedback that is typical the the "Show Off" area. Instead, be prepared to evaluate the piece thoroughly and provide useful feedback on what would make the piece better, and how it can be improved upon.

I will repeat that I do not think it is ever necessary tell someone their work is awful. If the person receiving the feedback doesn't have the motivation to take constructively offered ideas and opinions they receive and use it in the pursuit of perfection, someone else seeing the post will. Being insulted will motivate some people, but others have sufficient self-desire to perfect their work that they don't need that kind of treatment to persevere. Of course, if you are someone who really needs that kind of treatment, feel free to ask, I'm sure there are people here who would be happy to oblige. In that case, an exception to the principal is in order, but in my opinion, you should be prepared to ask for it, and not expect it every time you post a photo of your work.

Kate

A technique we use to evaluate someones performance when de briefing is referred to as the bathtub method. picture the shape of a bathtub. the rim is up high, it dips down and ends up high again so in debriefing we.

1. Start on a high (positive aspects of the work.

2. Give the negative/constructive feedback.

3. End on a high with an overall not bad type comment.

Sometimes at work however I'd like to use the Parachute with no canopy method.

Woooooosh-splat.

Barra.

All,

I have found reading this thread rather fascinating. I finally went back to the very top of Leatherwork.Net to look at how each forum is described since that is what I had expected.

For Example:

Show Off! - What have you been up to lately? Show it here! If you want a critique, just ask! Our members willingly share their knowledge and experience.

Critique my Work! - If you past a pic here, you want people to tell you what you did right, what you could have done better, and what you need improvement on. All constructive replies welcome, and no hurt feelings.

If I post in Show Off and don't ask for a critique, then I am not expecting any and would probably take it the wrong way if offered, on the other hand if I wanted a critique, I will either ask for it in this forum or post it under Critique my Work!

So if I post in Critique my Work, I expect constructive criticism, both barrels. 8-)

I think the definitions for the forums are very good and if followed will help manage the what gets said where and what gets posted where.

Since this is also a family board I expect that the phrasing should be G rated maybe PG.

The fact that we are doing this on-line in a public forum brings me back to the management skills I have been taught. There are times and ways to say things in public and there are times when it needs to be said behind closed doors. This is easier done face-to-face and one can read body language, on the net I don't know how to do that unless Johanna can provide animated Avatars for all of us. 8-)

I don't think starting a separate forum would be any better since over time it will evolve as well, we just need to accept and follow the guidance that the forum definitions already provide.

Just my two cents worth.

Bill B.