Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Latex Sword Scabbard

Just finished this today.

The sword is a custom sword I got from Ateliers Nemesis. I plan to hang the whole deal from a baldric (which I haven't made yet).

scabbard1.jpg

scabbard2.jpg

scabbard3.jpg

scabbard4.jpg

It's made from a vegetable tanned belly, waterformed around the blade of the sword, and lined with blue felt. I Elmer's glued in the felt after it was cut to size. The throat is made of a separate piece of leather, with a celtic concho, lots of stamping and dyed blue. I hand-sewed the throat on after super gluing it in place (man, super glue is the best thing...). The back is all hand stitching as well, then hand skived with an X-acto knife and slicked hard with a wheel and spit. No rivets anywhere, I'm so proud of myself. :)

This was supposed to be the proof-of-concept piece, so future ones will be a little more ornate. I'll probably line them with velvet rather than felt also. And I have to be careful, I was using metal binder clips to hold the wet leather around the blade to form it, and they marked the leather on the back pretty good. Fortunately, the marks are in the crease down the backside, and it's dyed black anyways, but I'll have to pad the clips with some scrap leather next time.

Nice looking scabbard. I'm curious why you titled it "latex"? I don't see where latex is involved.

Nice looking scabbard. I'm curious why you titled it "latex"? I don't see where latex is involved.

I was just about to ask the same thing, Tom.

Tony.

I took it to mean the sword is latex. But I could most definitely be wrong... :head_hurts_kr:

Crystal

Odd, I thought I had replied to this. Did we have a database rollback?

Anyways, yes, the sword is a foam and latex sword. The sheath is all leather. :)

Here's a second one:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Those holes are crying -- CRYING, I tell you -- for cabochons.

I agree. Hell, I would have been satisfied with a nice Celtic concho where that round stamp is on the bottom of the throat, but the customer requested "no bling".

I agree. Hell, I would have been satisfied with a nice Celtic concho where that round stamp is on the bottom of the throat, but the customer requested "no bling".

*le sigh* Your customer is a very silly person. ;-)

OK, nobody else asked, so here goes:

Why foam and latex sword? Since it would stay in the scabbard, all you really need is the handle.

Then, all that trouble to line the scabbard with felt? (You would never do that for a real sword, as it would hold moisture.)

I don't mean to demean your efforts. It just seems like a lot of effort for a decoration.

But it's not for decoration, it's for whacking people with! :)

http://www.kingdomsofnovitas.com

Latex swords......... sissies! In my (enter the way back machine) role playing days, if and when we opted for 'live action' playing, it was with EMT, RIGID, or some iron plumbing pipe wrapped up in pipe insulation and wrapped again in duct tape. There were no "magic spelled swords", and no dice. The two combatants faced off and didn't 'whack' each other- it was more like 'pummeled', or 'beat down'. In anycase, there was no confusion as to who hit who or when. Also no confusion as to who won ;)

Thinking back on it....I'm not sure if my younger cousin ever forgave me for not knowing the 'new' rules...hehehe.

Latex swords......... sissies! In my (enter the way back machine) role playing days, if and when we opted for 'live action' playing, it was with EMT, RIGID, or some iron plumbing pipe wrapped up in pipe insulation and wrapped again in duct tape. There were no "magic spelled swords", and no dice. The two combatants faced off and didn't 'whack' each other- it was more like 'pummeled', or 'beat down'. In anycase, there was no confusion as to who hit who or when. Also no confusion as to who won ;)

Thinking back on it....I'm not sure if my younger cousin ever forgave me for not knowing the 'new' rules...hehehe.

Sure. Substitute 1.25" diameter rattan sticks for pipe and leave off the insulation, and you've got the SCA. ;)