Sign in to follow this  
SarahW

New And Needing Some Help

Hi, I'm fairly new to leather working. I took a few classes in College (about 2 years ago) and decided I needed a hobby that wasn't my job too so I went and bought more tools and have been getting back into leather. I have most of all the tools I know I need and my Fiance is making me a stitching horse soon. What I need help with is finding patterns or learning how to make patterns for the things I want to make. My teacher always helped us find or make patterns (i.e. make them for us) anyone have suggestions? I know how to read a ruler I just dont know what the rules are on how much extra here or there for stitching or anything like that. lol every time I try to make something I realize I know less about this than I feel like I should. I really dont know where to start in relearning everything.

Thanks to those who are willing to help

The picture is of the first project i did a few weeks ago (after said fiance decided he could loosen the leather up a little by folding it.) I didnt measure enough to compensate for the # of cards he would want to put in.

post-31116-086401000 1336241974_thumb.jp

The best thing you could do for yourself, . . . is go to someplace like Tandy's (1st choice) or Hobby Lobby (2nd choice), . . . buy some of their patterns for things you would like to try to make.

You will then get proper "Patterns" to show you how to make patterns. There are no "magic bullet", . . . "one step" answers to your questions, . . . and the nearest thing you might get to that would be to find a local leather worker, . . . and apprentice yourself to them.

In exchange for lessons and knowledge, . . . you might sweep and paint the place for them or something like that.

May God bless,

Dwight

There are also some great books. I seem to be recommending this set a lot, the Art of Making Leather Cases set by Al Stohlman. Great for learning gussets, straps, stitching allowances, fold lengths, pretty much all those basic pattern questions that drive you crazy. They're all the Sheridan and Western styles, but can be tweaked very easily. The Leatherworking Handbook is another good one. It's more of an English leather style. Those should get you well on your way.

And Sarah, some of the things you just need to practice. I imagine most of us have made the same mistake you did on this in our beginnings (I'm still beginning and still make these kind of mistakes). Also you learn through practice how to turn your mistakes into something new. With this? I'd get another piece of leather, dye it black to match the design you made, and lace it to the top to extend it to the right length AND make it look like you intended to do it that way all along. Want to really fancy it up? Make the same design on the second piece only smaller and make it brown to match the other brown, then dye the rest black. When you do these types of things for yourself you can climb out of the box and turn them into something that isn't a mistake. That's the great thing about a hobby vs. business. So do all of the above too and have fun. Cheryl

Sarah

Double C said something I hope you really make note of. "and turn them into something that isn't a mistake."

Two of the main thing's I've learned is

1. Mistakes happen but it's how you handle them... and cover them up is how you learn and become good at this. (personally, I think that's why the original tool makers named that one tool a Camouflage stamp .. to cover up or disguise their mistakes.)

2. Leather work takes a Train Car load of patience. Don't rush especially when it comes to drying time of finishes.

Don't rush especially when it comes to drying time of finishes.

Can't emphasize this enough. You are working with materials that are designed to dye flesh. If you go at a project without gloves too quickly after a dying, you'll be living with your mistake for a little while. If something comes out a little off, it;s best to just step back and think for a minute.

Sarah,

I have found that "The Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal" has been a help to me in expanding my leather working knowledge, maybe a subscription will be of help to you.

http://www.leathercraftersjournal.com/

There are so many things to learn with making leather items, most I learned by trial and error as well as many hours researching this forum.

Learning to build western saddles did not prepare me for making gun leather items, that itself has been a year or better in self-education.

The most useful thing I learned is figuring out what went wrong and why, then re-engineering and correcting the problem with what I learned.

Keep at it and it will get easier.

In regards to the credit card holder. Try using a 1 inch wide strip of the material you are using for your measurements, this helped me understand how leather thickness changes the required material. Once I got that into my head pattern making became much easier.