Sign in to follow this  
lesz

Removing Hair From A Tanned Hide

Hi,

This is my first post to this forum I have a tanned cow hide with the hair on & now I am wondering if there is any way of removing that hair? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks dunno.gif

An Electric Razor will work...Ok after you get the Hair off what will you the leather for?

You do know you will not be able to get the Hair Focills out.

Why not just make items with Hair on Cowhide.

I have NO idea if this will work... but perhaps a gallon or so of NAIR or some other depilatory cream smeared on would take it off. Not sure I would try it on the whole hide until you discover whether or not the stuff will work on cow hair. It's likely to make a huge mess too.

I think I am inclined to agree with Luke and suggest that you use it as is. Maybe re-upholster your truck seat with it or something??

Thanks for those suggestions. My stepdaughter wants to make bags out of the leather & does not like the look of the hair. We might try a razor & see how it goes. Thanks.

Hair removal is done prior to tanning, you would be better off trying to sell what you have and buy what you need.

The hair will be locked in and will be difficult to remove without damaging the hide not to mention the work involved.

Thanks for those suggestions. My stepdaughter wants to make bags out of the leather & does not like the look of the hair. We might try a razor & see how it goes. Thanks.

You won´t get usable leather even if you try using a razor, it will look terrible! Leave it as is and buy a piece of leather to your stepdaughter!

I agree, the cost of a new hide outweighs the work involved in removing the hair and possibly damaging the leather in the process.