Rhome

Opinion on Landis

I don't know the model number on this machine but would like your opinion's on it. I saw it over on Ebay and am wondering about the price. Can anyone tell me anything about this Landis ? Are these good stitching machines or would I be better off with an Artisen stitcher for my holster making.

s.gifs.gifs.gifSelect a picture<A name=ebayphotohosting>

98e5_1.JPGThanks,

Rhome

I don't know the model number on this machine but would like your opinion's on it. I saw it over on Ebay and am wondering about the price. Can anyone tell me anything about this Landis ? Are these good stitching machines or would I be better off with an Artisen stitcher for my holster making.

Hi Rhome,

Bob at Kamloops Saddlery has a lot of good things to say about Landis machines - take a look at: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...pic=3928&hl= He wants to fill his workshop with them!

Ray

That is a #3 landis. It is a needle/awl stitcher. They are a very reliable workhorse when working and adjusted properly. I have one in my shop. Parts can be a challange depending on what you need but Connie at Campbell-Bosworth can usually take care of you. They generally sell for $3000.00 to $3500.00. 10 times the machine that any of this chinese JUNK is that is being marketed under various brand names but if you are not somewhat mechanicly inclined probably not the machine for you. Greg

Hi Rhome

I wouldn't take on the Landis No.3 as my first machine. It is (when working properly) a very excellent machine, a "Campbell like" needle and awl machine although nothing except maybe a few screws and ancillary parts from a Campbell or Randal fit it. As a first machine it will be trying, and you need to be able to judge condition as a rebuild on one could be pricey. If the price is right and it is in good condition I would not pass it up. With little experience on your side, I would pass and get the Artisan.

Art

s.gifs.gifs.gifSelect a picture<A name=ebayphotohosting>

98e5_1.JPGThanks,

Rhome

Hi everyone, thanks for the info. I'm on the fence about this one, trying to weigh the differance on whether it would be cost effective rebuilding it if it needs it ( seller says its running, but that dosen't mean it's running correctly ) or the cost of buying a new machine. I did have 2 machines prior to building holsters but they were more for light weight leather then I ended up with a Boss and it has treated me very well, but I'm looking to go with a motorized stitcher now.

Best,

Rhome

Rhome:

I've had great success, and at many levels, with the Chinese JUNK machines over the last few years. I currently have two Artisan 3000's and have made a great number of product(s) with them and have really had virtually no problems with them. I've had one machine for 3 years and the other for 2.5 years.

I would like to have a needle and awl machine some day, but just to be able to have one in the shop to use when I felt the quirk to use it, not rely on it as a primary machine. There are those in the holster-making industry who use nothing but the needle and awl machines and they do a tremendous job.

My experience has been that it's the craftsman that makes the difference in how the product turns out. The machine is but the tool.

Thanks K-Man, you know I hold your's and other's opinions to the highest degree and I really do appreciate it.

Best,

Rhome

I have both a Landis 3 and a Campbell in my shop - I have the Landis set up for saddle work and the Campbell set up for finer work, like belts, headstalls, strapwork, etc. I also have an Adler for repair work - all have their place in my shop, but I would not trade the quality of the stitching with the Landis 3 or Campbell machines for any other machine on the market! They are virtually identical, but the Landis 3 has a larger throat area that allows for easier handling of skirts, etc - if you are wanting a machine that will work for everything, try the Campbell - they can be purchased thru Connie Naegle, but might be able to find one privately for less...My Campbell was being used by a custom saddlemaker, and when I bought it, I changed it up to accomodate my strapgoods, since I already owned the Landis...just my two cents worth...!

Thanks for the info Shelly !