TyBaloo

For Beginners _ Step By Step _ Fisnishes And Edges

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new on the forum and I still consider myself as a rookie in leathercarft world.

As lots of beginners I used to have tons of questions about the different finishes or what I shall do first in a project. Before posting questions on that forum, I read all the threads of the "Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners" section of this forum. It took me quite a while but I learn tons of things. Being a bit forgetful, I tend to take lots of notes and here are the results of my readings.

So for those who are still wondering "what is the difference between a stain and a dye?" "Oils or conditioner? what is the difference? what shall I use?" "Restist and antique? how does that work?" "Finishes and waterproofing?", "Edges? what are the different options?" or "how am I supposed to use gum tracaganth?" : this is for you :)

I tried to summarized all I could read through this part of the forum into the attached spreadsheets (well pdf of my excel file since I can't upload a xls doc here). I noted what were the most frequently asked questions and given answers. Some people might have slightly different approaches but globally, we all use the same kind of product at the same moment for the same job.

In the step by step file, I just took photos of a project, gave a short explication beside each photo, giving some info and examples of products (more info can be found in the other pds files). Again, this is only how I process. And from what I read, I can tell that lots of us process the same, omitting/adding some steps according to the project we are working on.

If you see big mistakes, or wish to complete the files, please don't hesitate to contact me. Again those files are just a gathering of informations I read. I tried to stay as neutral as possible.

I just hope it will just give a little help for some of us :)

StepByStep.pdf

Dyes and Stains _ Def.pdf

Edges and gum trac.pdf

Finish and Waterproof.pdf

Oils and Conditionners.pdf

Resist and Antique.pdf

I tried to summarized all I could read through this part of the forum into the attached spreadsheets (well pdf of my excel file since I can't upload a xls doc here). I noted what were the most frequently asked questions and given answers. Some people might have slightly different approaches but globally, we all use the same kind of product at the same moment for the same job.

Nice to have information compiled into a summarized form. Most appreciated by many here I suspect.

One thing that would be nice to add is a link back to the original posts so people can go back and see the associated comments if they wish. Sometimes I glean info from those comments that is usefull for me, especially where there is more than one way to do things.

Keep it up.

CTG

One thing that would be nice to add is a link back to the original posts so people can go back and see the associated comments if they wish. Sometimes I glean info from those comments that is usefull for me, especially where there is more than one way to do things.

Hey

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Actually I thought about it too. I haven't done it for 2 reasons: 1/ I couldn't really keep track of all the 50+ pages of that part of the forum. Plus sometimes, it's one line - x threads of references. So it would have been a bit messy, especially that I can't upload any spreadsheet here 2/ I didn't want to spoil the original user who posted the info. So I did it for some main topics where I almost copy/paste what was said in the thread (and add up some other infos from other threads and other users).

However, I totally agree and if I find the corresponding threads, I will keep track of them.

Thank you again for the precious suggestions.

Nice summary especially for beginners, great job. Thanks! :thankyou:

Amazing. I just joined and couldn't have asked for more. What a public service! Thank you. Really. Thank you.

Fantastic information. Much appreciated as a beginner myself =]

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new on the forum and I still consider myself as a rookie in leathercarft world.

As lots of beginners I used to have tons of questions about the different finishes or what I shall do first in a project. Before posting questions on that forum, I read all the threads of the "Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners" section of this forum. It took me quite a while but I learn tons of things. Being a bit forgetful, I tend to take lots of notes and here are the results of my readings.

So for those who are still wondering "what is the difference between a stain and a dye?" "Oils or conditioner? what is the difference? what shall I use?" "Restist and antique? how does that work?" "Finishes and waterproofing?", "Edges? what are the different options?" or "how am I supposed to use gum tracaganth?" : this is for you :)

In the step by step file, I just took photos of a project, gave a short explication beside each photo, giving some info and examples of products (more info can be found in the other pds files). Again, this is only how I process. And from what I read, I can tell that lots of us process the same, omitting/adding some steps according to the project we are working on.

If you see big mistakes, or wish to complete the files, please don't hesitate to contact me. Again those files are just a gathering of informations I read. I tried to stay as neutral as possible.

I just hope it will just give a little help for some of us :)

A nice compilation, but I'll advise viewers of it that it is a compiled list of information from posts, but it is not complete. There are some things that must be learned through experience....for example, under burnishing, saliva (spit) is listed as having little more to offer than water, except for bacteria. Not True. There's also enzymes in saliva which play a role in activating the glycerides in the leather. Activating the glycerides (the cellular 'glue') is critical for getting a good burnish. Gum Tragacanth does a very good job of emulating the effects of saliva, but without the dry mouth.

I'm not saying this is not worth reading, but the compilation needs to account for the context of the info and experience of the person posting the info (in the original text) for the reader to evaluate. A person that is trying to burnish the edge of garment leather may very well post that method X and product Z don't work.....but that would be an inaccurate report because the method and product were incorrectly used.

These .PDFs are a good primer, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next versions.

Hello Everyone,

So for those who are still wondering "what is the difference between a stain and a dye?" "Oils or conditioner? what is the difference? what shall I use?" "Restist and antique? how does that work?" "Finishes and waterproofing?", "Edges? what are the different options?" or "how am I supposed to use gum tracaganth?" : this is for you smile.gif

I just hope it will just give a little help for some of us smile.gif

THANKS MUCH!!