I know that the folks here will have more knowledge about my project than I could ever hope to absorb, so I'm coming to the forum to see if you all would critique my thinking.

For years I've searched for particular designs for a leather book cover, and can't find them. Many of the people I know can't find these designs and would pay for them too. So I want to do something like the Oberon company does: have a few designs and produce them in number. From what I can tell, I would have to have the designs put on large stamps and stamp premade book covers with them. Then sew and finish. There's only one size I want to make. To me it seems possible to do this.

I can see that making things in batches isn't exactly a true artisan's approach, but I don't have the skills to make what I want and would like to provide the covers to other people too. I believe there is a market for my design, so I'm looking for a reasonable way to put it into production.

Just to let you know--I'm so new to leather work that I'm not even done with my first Tandy Beginner Kit yet, but I got one because I really want to make these covers and then the idea got bigger.

Your input is MUCH appreciated!

Mouse

Please provide us with an example picture.

I don't have anything carved to show you. I just want to produce covers similar to the journal covers Oberon puts out [on a smaller scale] but with a different desgn that they don't carry...

Thanks!

Edited by MouseTemplar

I believe she was asking to see the Oberon Journal Cover...

Journals.jpg

It sounds like you want to make AA book covers, possibly with a particular pattern you like. You will need to have a plate made to do the imprint. Depending on your exact artwork will depend on the cost and difficulty of the carving. You will need a press to do the imprint. Then you will be moving on to sewing and finishing. A lot will depend on if you want to make 20 or 2000 of these to determine how you will proceed.

Aaron

Any idea is pretty much doable in leather. Some of the things I've seen here are truly unbelievable so a book cover should be a valid project. We have people here who make maker stamps, etc. so you might want to have one made like that with your design. I think Aaron makes a valid point, do you want to do 20 or 2000? If you're getting up there in the numbers doing them from a stamp might be way too slow. Cheryl

OK. Thanks for the Oberon picture posting SandSquid--this is exactly what I want to do.

Aaron--I'm not sure what an AA book cover is?

While out on the internet I found a site called Infinity Stamps that has a 2-ton Arbor press and advertises custom plates. It looks like I could use that to stamp a leather cover that's about 5 in x 7 in. in front.

Right now I don't know how many I'd end up making, but I don't think I should spend a lot more that what the press and some plates will cost to start off.

Do I need a sewing machine? I actually have one of the Oberon covers [call it "Industrial Espionage"--but I bought it full price and am studying it.] and the stitching is fairly fine and close together. How fine a stitch can be done by hand?

Again, thank you all for your expertise and input.

Mouse

AA = Alcholics Anomious. Many people get sober and carry their book for years. Book covers are a good sell and the books are all the same size.

I am assuming you are not making 2000. If you are going small scale you will need a press and plates made. You can hand sew but for any sort of production you will need a machine. I would suggest making a few covers that do not have embossing, learn to edge and finish and sew. Then figure if you want to have plates made and learn to emboss.

Aaron

Aaron, your advice about making non-stamped covers seems very sound. I hadn't thought of that, but it totally makes sense! I still need to learn about what type and thickness of leather I'd be using as well as how to cut, sew, and finish.

I'm considering asking the owner of the local Tandy store to give me some private one-on-one lessons, just covering what I need to know for this particular project.

I actually would want to make hundreds if I could sell my idea--how does that change the equipment besides the sewing machine?

Also wondering if there are wholesalers that provide a "Basic Book Cover" that I could buy a lot of and simply stamp and finish them without the cutting and sewing?

You must mean the AA Big Book? That's another good idea, but not my focus.

Much appreciated--more input please!

Mouse