Sign in to follow this  
Double U Leather

Billet Belt With Hair On Inlay

Here's another order out the door. It turned out okay, but nothing stellar in my estimation. The inlay was a booger to do, and it didn't come out as straight as I'd have liked it to. But, I'd never done one like this before, so there is that stinkin' learning curve to deal with. Glad it's done. Now I've got one more thing to do in the shop before I hit the road for a month doing my "real" job. Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think. Any tips on how to do these would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking and stay blessed.

post-7660-099553300 1337955714_thumb.jpg

Looks great (Of course it does) wayne. Can you talk a little bit about the inlay. I want to try an inlay of gator on a belt. What was tough about it, what did you glue it with, etc..

Also what machine have you been using for your belts, thread size, SPI .......Thanks, YOu are truly gifted my man.

Thanks for the kind words. The real hard part was getting the edge to be straight when all of the middle is cut out. It wanted to get wavy. The gluing process was also kinda tough. I actually had to take a scalpel and shave the parts of the hair on down to the hide so I had something to glue to. And that gets real tricky so as not to shave a spot bald that won't be covered. Used typical Barge for the actual gluing. I don't know off hand what my machine is. I want to say a Singer 411, but without looking at it I'm not positive. I use 138 nylon thread, and probably 9 stitches an inch. Again, without looking at the setting, I'm not positive. I sew just about everything at that length. I'm really not much of a person who tinkers with my machine once it's sewing good. I really do need to work on that end of this game i.e. construction, stitch lengths, etc. I tool okay, but I sometimes really struggle with the other stuff. Anyway, gator should be easier since there's no hair to deal with. I might try another inlay project just for giggles to see if I can dial it in better. Thanks again for the compliments, and stay blessed.

You have great skills my friend! Keep it up and keep posting pics!