Sign in to follow this  
Dhiwangkara

How To Make A Rucksack

halo i'm a newbie, and i want to ask how to make a rucksack. do you have any advice on making a rucksack, the dimension and the design of it.

thanks

-Dhiwang

This is a pretty wide question. How about if you post a picture of the style you are looking for and we can narrow it down from there.

Aaron

This is a pretty wide question. How about if you post a picture of the style you are looking for and we can narrow it down from there.

Aaron

example like this sack. how can i make this sack?

Leather_Rucksack.JPG

You don't start small do you? That's quite a project. I would strongly suggest buying a copy of "The Art of Making Leather Cases". You're looking at a minimum of 10 patterns / pieces, main back, main front, main gusset, handle, shoulder straps, buckle straps, buckle tab, pocket front, pocket back, pocket gusset. You would make the two different pocket styles separately from the main pack and then sew them on. After designing the patterns, you would cut out the leather parts. Then sew together. It's doable, but you'd have to learn a lot along the way. One post with instructions wouldn't do it.

If you''re serious about this, where I would start is to figure out the measurements you want and create paper templates of all the major parts. That would give you an idea of how much leather you would need and the kind of project you're getting into.

This is a big bite to start with. I would suggest some practice with a few smaller pieces. The smaller pouches on the side would be great starting points. If you pattern them and get the hang of it then step up and try to get the full project.

Make your patterns out of paper, butcher paper or brown grocery sacks. Tape them togeather for fit and layout. Then transfer to the leather. Practice sewing on smaller projects, like a dog collar or coin purse.

umm okay so i will start with smaller goods.

Good idea. BUt still buy Al Stohlman's " "The Art of Making Leather Cases" Vol 1-3 and "The art of Hand Sewing Leather". Buy the sewing one first and as you make your smaller things master the saddle stitch. The purchase the 3 volumes of the leather case books and read them at least twice.

Make a Knife sheath or a Belt or wallet first. Then after a few other small items move up to a purse or single section pack. everything you do will help prepare you for the rutsack you want to make.

You can do it but it will take a little time to get there. Along the way you will get the experience and tools you need.

Good luck

Personally, . . . I'd love to see the back side of that rucksack.

I can imagine what I think it should be, . . . but I'd still like to see it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Personally, . . . I'd love to see the back side of that rucksack.

I can imagine what I think it should be, . . . but I'd still like to see it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Google search will show ya...

http://grafea.co.uk/shop/Leather_Rucksack.html

Google search will show ya...

http://grafea.co.uk/...r_Rucksack.html

Hey, Russ, . . . thanks much and a big hat tip to you, sir.

I looked at the bag, . . . just kinda figured it was one of those one of a kind thingys folks made, . . . never even thought of goin' googlin'.

it actually is a better bag than I would have imagined, . . . I especially liked the pouch pocket on the back.

Anyway, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

You might like to read THIS THREAD. It's not a rucksack per se, but it will give you some ideas of construction techniques.

You know you're hooked on this stuff when you look at something leather and think "I like the design, but that's not how I'd do it". All in all I like the design of this bag, but I hate the strap securement system, and I'm not crazy about the handle or the stitching pattern on the handle straps. Though I am going to borrow the strap pad design I think.

You know you're hooked on this stuff when you look at something leather and think "I like the design, but that's not how I'd do it". All in all I like the design of this bag, but I hate the strap securement system, and I'm not crazy about the handle or the stitching pattern on the handle straps. Though I am going to borrow the strap pad design I think.

I was thinking that all that hardware at the back of your neck could be quite uncomfortable. Would have to wear it lower to have it stay off your neck and upper back. I think I would attach the shoulder straps where the attachments for the handle are. Of course since I have arthritis in my neck, I have become much more sensitized (pun intended) to this issue. It's got my shoulders too so I'll never wear one, but would like my clients to be comfortable.

CTG

Ya, that was my main complaint as well. I don't see a way to arrange that hardware so that it could be comfortable. Either pull the straps out to the sides where the handle attachments are like you said, or put everything on top of the bag so what hits your body is just leather. Or perhaps put the D ring inside the bag and feed the latches through a slot in the back of the bag. I can think of a few ways that would be better then what they did and wouldn't be much more work.