Hey yall I usually dye with some old eco flo midnight black from tandy and use nail polish/sharpies/paint pens for coloring, When I go to seal the project with neat lac it's a 50/50 shot that it will pull the black over into my color and bring my color into my black etc. How can I fix this? I just ordered some fiebings black to see if that will do the trick but it still attacks my colors as well. What do you use for colors? Thank you

Neat Laq is solvent bassed. Very durable and chemicaly harsh. Eco flow is water based. Not durable chemicaly at all. You will not have good luck with any process that the top coat desolves the bottom coat.

Aaron

Hey yall I usually dye with some old eco flo midnight black from tandy and use nail polish/sharpies/paint pens for coloring, When I go to seal the project with neat lac it's a 50/50 shot that it will pull the black over into my color and bring my color into my black etc. How can I fix this? I just ordered some fiebings black to see if that will do the trick but it still attacks my colors as well. What do you use for colors? Thank you

I haven't used Neatlac but I do know that you normally can't put solvent based finishes over solvent markers. One tends to lift and dissolve the other.

Application method makes a big difference too!

If you are applying the finish, whether you use an applicator like sheep's wool, or your fingers, to rub the finish into the surface, you will dissolve and spread the dye. Even waterborne finishes can lift waterbourne dyes.

Try spraying the finish on in very light coats. Light coats don't crack as easily either. There are many threads on dyeing and application of finishes. Do a search and you will be surprised at the number. Comments include buffing the dyed item 24 hours after applying the dye, so it is really dry, to remove any unabsorbed dye from the surface. Also what finishes to use and how to apply.

CTG

Neatlac and Ecoflo do not mix, period. There was a thread a short time ago where Wayne at Double U Leather was having the same problem with Fiebing black dye. He solved the problem by going to Angelius black dye and using a product called RTC as the resist available from Bee's. I don't use black so I have never encountered the problem with any of the Fiebing brown shade dyes and Neatlac. I am a die hard Neatlac fan, but I will not use the spray. You have to go with Clearlac or Wyosheen if you want the same product and apply with wool. When people have problems with Neatlac cracking it is usually with the spray version or applying it really thick with a rag.

Terry