Holzmann

Winchester 1200 Shell Holder

Just finished a shell holder for my Winchester model 1200. I'm quite happy with the carving on the cheek side, but not so much with the shell side. This was my second shot at carving and frankly I'm much happier with the results. I do think I should have dyed the background rather than simply antiquing the piece, but I'm learning with every project.

Thanks for looking.

post-31224-071354500 1340155220_thumb.jp

post-31224-081780100 1340155255_thumb.jp

Looks very nice.

Kevin.

I like it. I might have to try to make one of those myself. Is it lined so that your rivets don't scratch the gun stock?

I like it! The tooling works well with the shape and the gun.

If I were to change one thing, it would be the rivets.

VERY NICE!!!

I am working on a stock cover for my Marlin .44 Lever Action.

Just trying to decide what to carve into the leather. I usually carve Oak leaves and acorns but trying to find something new. Outside the box as it were.

Keep up the great work.

Thank you all for your kind words. The shell holder is lined with goat skin behind the rivets, but nowhere else. I wanted to keep down bulk. I think I may switch to a textured pear shader because I think it would be easier to walk the tool (the shading is something I think needs work). TexasJack; what would you suggest rather than rivets? A mate from work wants me to make one for him and I'm striving to make each project better than the last.

Thank you all for your kind words. The shell holder is lined with goat skin behind the rivets, but nowhere else. I wanted to keep down bulk. I think I may switch to a textured pear shader because I think it would be easier to walk the tool (the shading is something I think needs work). TexasJack; what would you suggest rather than rivets? A mate from work wants me to make one for him and I'm striving to make each project better than the last.

I would just sew it. That gets rid of the shiny rivets and you won't have to add the goat skin lining.