esantoro

Suggestions for 2" oval stamp

I'm in the process of getting everything together for a 2" wide oval stamp with an outer border to stamp oval leather disks that will be stitched into the interior of my bags.

I'll be getting my stamp from grey ghost graphics.

The company is Walden Bags and the motto is something like "simplicity, simplicity, simplicity" or "Simplicity Through Elegance" or "Elegant Simplicity." Perhaps in Latin. Not sure I want to include anything like this in the stamp at all, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

I've had three ideas for the stamp:

1. WALDEN in caps, centered and a bold outline font. I'll post the exact font later.

2. WALDEN, as in #1 above, perhaps a bit smaller sized font. Underneath WALDEN will be BAGS in caps, much smaller font and a non-outlined font

3. Either of the two above but with one of the mottoes running along the stamps border.

4. This one is in addition to something from above but smaller than a 2" stamp. Some kind of arrangement of W and B, with or without one of the mottoes.

I'll try to draw up an illustration later, once I get all my graphics programs reinstalled in my computer, which, by the way, headed south around the same time of the famed Leatherworker.net crash of 2008.

Thanks for any suggestions,

ed

P.S. Another idea for a motto, which I got from Antique Road show where someone brought in an 18th century or earlier chair with the marking to the effect of "I Gave It My Best". I wouldn't put something like this in English, but what about Latin?

I'm going for something like this from Papworth

ed

papbrand.jpg

post-853-1200623114_thumb.jpg

Ed,

How many of these "labels" are you thinking of making?

Regards,

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

In 2008, things would be pretty good if I could get 10 bags a month made. Six is very doable and on the agenda. So , right now, I would need six a month.

ed

I just realized that I should get a heavier mallet for the punching out of the ovals and the stamping.Is a two pounder enough, or should I go heavier?

ed

Edited by esantoro

I've been thinking and doodling.

I think a double border on the stamp in addition to perimeter stitching will create too many borders. Perhaps the stitching of the brand in place should be the only border.

ed

I like the Walden in caps with Bags in caps below, and maybe one of the mottoes along the bottom border on the curve of the oval. What about a slight change in the motto to "Elegance in Simplicity"? How does that strike you?

"elegance through simplicity"

in Spanish: elegancia por simplicidad

in french: élégance à travers simplicité

latin: eleganza libero semplicitê

according to http://www.tranexp.com/win/itserver.htm

thanks for the nudging. I'll try to get a vector diagram up this weekend.

here's some very basic brainstorming:

Does anyone know what type of font would be of a classic British style. I think I've decided on a punch size: 3/16" wider circumference than the single border on the 2" oval stamp that Jeff Mosby makes.

2_2_inch_oval_copy.jpg

post-853-1200892542_thumb.jpg

Edited by esantoro

I just realized that I should get a heavier mallet for the punching out of the ovals and the stamping.Is a two pounder enough, or should I go heavier?

ed

if your going to be punching ovals out of a decent weight leather you better be strong - no double hits if you want clean edges-one whack and you best be through..

I'd get the heaviest damn mallet I could find and I'd put a rubber mat on an anvil to do my punching......you want a super solid surface to do your punching...

IMSHO, of course

steveb

if your going to be punching ovals out of a decent weight leather you better be strong - no double hits if you want clean edges-one whack and you best be through..

I'd get the heaviest damn mallet I could find and I'd put a rubber mat on an anvil to do my punching......you want a super solid surface to do your punching...

IMSHO, of course

steveb

I was figuring on skiving 5/6 oz and thicker veg tan down to 3/4 oz if necessary. I was thinking I'd put down a rubber mat onto a 2" x 12" piece of wood, which will sit atop my 12 sq. inch marble slab.

Here is an old Mulholland Brothers stamp that gave me the original idea:

mbbrand.jpg

post-853-1200893573_thumb.jpg

I've emailed and called Jeff Mosby at Grey Graphics. Still waiting to hear back.

But I was wondering, would you say that Jeff's 2" ovals have the same dimensions all around as Infinity's 2" ovals, which are 2" wide by 1.25" tall. I used the oval on Infinity's Brochure for the black and white pic I posted. I figure I should get an oval punch has a 3/16" larger circumference than the border on Jeff's 2" oval, a margin for stitching the punched stamp fob.

Ed

IMO, you have two other options also. You could go to OSWOSSO graphics and have them make a die that would be used with a press or clicker. Doing it that way would eliminate the likelihood of a "fuzzy" impression you might get doing it by hand with a mallet/stamp. You could also have the logo laser engraved on the leather. Find yourself someone, there was a guy here on the forum, or a trophy/awards shop. The laser engraver could also cut the label out of the leather for you. At the very least, then all you would have to do is punch the 2" oval out of the leather. The other thing about laser engraving is you can do it on a greater variety of types of leather, and easier, than with an embossing die.

Edited by K-Man

here's some very basic brainstorming:

Does anyone know what type of font would be of a classic British style. I think I've decided on a punch size: 3/16" wider circumference than the single border on the 2" oval stamp that Jeff Mosby makes.

Another option for the test:

1. Same positioning, but "Elegant" instead of "Elegance"

2. I like the middle design Harper Stamps uses in its PDF flyer, attached. I was thinking of something like Thoreau's shack on the cover page of an early edition _On Walden Pond_.

Just thinkin' out loud again,

ed

Another option for the test:

1. Same positioning, but "Elegant" instead of "Elegance"

2. I like the middle design Harper Stamps uses in its PDF flyer, attached. I was thinking of something like Thoreau's shack on the cover page of an early edition _On Walden Pond_.

Just thinkin' out loud again,

ed

Can anyone recommend a good smallish anvil for punching out 2" ovals and stamping them? Is a marble slab enough, or is it begging to be broken?

Ed

Can anyone recommend a good smallish anvil for punching out 2" ovals and stamping them? Is a marble slab enough, or is it begging to be broken?

Ed

want to buy a nice piece of marble that is in pieces from tooling? I got a beauty that is in chunks from repeated tapping...

use granite, take a drive to Swenson granite (your in NYC right? They are in Wilton CT, I think)- get a slab ilke I did - $50

there is no way in hell your gonna break a slab like that, but if your going to be doing lots of punching - use an anvil with a mat.

my .02

Just heard back from Jeff Mosby. He can make my 2" oval of any dimension with a 2" width. Once I get my midas punch, i'll go from there.

I still may need to get another punch better suited for a 2" oval (The Midas punch is 2 3/4" wide, perhaps only 1/4" wider than what I need for a punch).

Any suggestions for 2" oval dimensions would be great.

ed

cany anyone help me with text in photoshop? I need to bend text along curved borders. Should I be using a different program?

ed

Ed,

Thought I'd throw in some input. Let me know if you'd like to see it on leather.

Daryl

Daryl,

That is awesome. What program did you use? I like the way you used up the white space. I think I'm leaning more towards "Elegant Simplicity" just the way you have it on the bottom.

Thanks so much for the improvement on the logo.

Ed

Ed,

Thought I'd throw in some input. Let me know if you'd like to see it on leather.

Daryl

Daryl,

Do you glazer ingrave this kind of work?

ed

I like "Functional Elegance". Or "Elegant Simplicity" or "Simply Elegant"

"Superior Elegance" "Built-in Elegance" "Sturdy Elegance" "Practical & Elegant" "Sturdy and Simply Beautiful"

Johanna

Daryl, Do you glazer ingrave this kind of work?ed
Sorry for the typo, Daryl.Do you lazer engrave this lind of work?ed
I like "Functional Elegance". Or "Elegant Simplicity" or "Simply Elegant" "Superior Elegance" "Built-in Elegance" "Sturdy Elegance" "Practical & Elegant" "Sturdy and Simply Beautiful"Johanna
Thanks so much for all the feedback.So far, I like "Elegant Simplicity," "Functional Elegance," and "Functional Simplicity".ed

I've also been thinking about carving a brand. I have never attempted carving and would like to use this as an opportunity to learn.

What would be the essential carving tools needed to carve the lettering and perhaps a design by hand?

Thanks,

ed