anester05

Sewing A Bi-Fold Wallet With Cobra Class 4

With a bifold the insides are 3/8" shorter then the outsides. When I was sewing on my machine when I got to the middle the wallet started to stretch against the machine causing the stitches not to get pulled through. I also started to list to the side very badly. Is there a technique in sewing the bifold insides to the back?

Are you gluing your pieces together before stitching?

Try using contact cement, or double sided leather tape, to hold the side pieces in alignment. Bend the wallet sharply as you come to the middle area. Better yet, install your stirrup throat plate, if you have one, and bend the wallet around it as you sew. This will give it natural stretch. If you didn't get the stirrup plate with your machine you can order it now.

Try using contact cement, or double sided leather tape, to hold the side pieces in alignment. Bend the wallet sharply as you come to the middle area. Better yet, install your stirrup throat plate, if you have one, and bend the wallet around it as you sew. This will give it natural stretch. If you didn't get the stirrup plate with your machine you can order it now.

I do not have the stirrup plat but I will try the glue up before I sew this next time. Also how do you sew right up next to a D-Ring?

Edited by anester05

I often cut a "U" shaped notch in the bottom edge of the interior at the fold to allow for a little differential movement between the interior and the wallet back. Makes sewing (or lacing) much easier. The depth of the (U) just needs to miss the stitch line.

CTG

I do not have the stirrup plat but I will try the glue up before I sew this next time. Also how do you sew right up next to a D-Ring?

With either a stirrup or holster plate and no feed dog. Both are raised almost a half inch above the standard top of a throat plate. This allows dee rings and buckles to pass on one side or the other,as you sew.

With either a stirrup or holster plate and no feed dog. Both are raised almost a half inch above the standard top of a throat plate. This allows dee rings and buckles to pass on one side or the other,as you sew.

Guess Ill have to spring for one of those. How does it move the leather without the feed dogs?

Guess Ill have to spring for one of those. How does it move the leather without the feed dogs?

It converts to a double feed machine, using the needle and inner presser foot to move the material. Note, without the feed dog reverse stitching will probably not hit the same holes anymore. If a perfect backtack is required, spin the work 180 degrees.