red3

Sealer/top Coat On A Dog Collar?

I just made my first dog collar and I was wondering if I need to seal it. The collar is made from herman oak english bridle and padded with deer tan cow hide....I have made a few holsters out of veg tan cow but this is my first time working with english bridle much less making a dog collar...thanks for any advice...

I'm no expert, but I'd say you don't need to seal it. The only time I used a sealer was on the inside of a black latigo collar that seemed to be rubbing off. The dog that it was going to was white and I thought it was best to seal the inside.

I recently made a collar from harness leather. I like working with it better than the latigo– it skived easier. The latigo is kind of rubbery, while the harness leather was firmer.

I would use a conditioner and or oil it. Oil or conditioner will darken the leather.

I was curious to see how people were going to respond, so I didn't want to be the first person to post. I'm in the same boat as Jester, I don't really add a sealer per se. When I'm finished with a collar, harness, leash or dog bag holster I'll either apply a balm or a wax (which is suppose to add some waterproofing). The balm and the wax are pretty much the same thing (both are more than 50% wax). I apply either and let it sit for a couple of hours or overnight and then buff out the excess.

Jester - I'm going to stop using latigo once i've used up the rest of what i have. I tried bridle leather and I like it a lot more than latigo, in terms of the look and feel. Harness leather was also on my list of things to also try. I started with latigo b/c that's what everyone else seemed to be using. How's harness leather in terms of finishing the edges?

thanks for the replies....I was starting to think I said something wrong or was so obvious that no one was going to reply...

I was curious to see how people were going to respond, so I didn't want to be the first person to post. I'm in the same boat as Jester, I don't really add a sealer per se. When I'm finished with a collar, harness, leash or dog bag holster I'll either apply a balm or a wax (which is suppose to add some waterproofing). The balm and the wax are pretty much the same thing (both are more than 50% wax). I apply either and let it sit for a couple of hours or overnight and then buff out the excess.

Jester - I'm going to stop using latigo once i've used up the rest of what i have. I tried bridle leather and I like it a lot more than latigo, in terms of the look and feel. Harness leather was also on my list of things to also try. I started with latigo b/c that's what everyone else seemed to be using. How's harness leather in terms of finishing the edges?

I got a strap pre-cut to width and the edges were already rounded. They still needed to be burnished. As compared to latigo, the leather seemed to bruise and show marks easily, if I slipped while burnishing. Part of that may be just because most of the latigo I've worked with is black or dark brown and the harness leather was a medium brown.

I bought a side of black latigo when I was starting out. I still have a bunch.

I'm still experimenting with edge finishing.