Sign in to follow this  
LeatherWerks

Thumb Snap Hoster

So, I bought some stainless steel snap springs from High Desert Leather so I could try my hand at making a Thumb Break style holster. The springs have two holes in them, one near each end for a rivet I assume. I know a line 24 snap goes in there somewhere but I'm a bit unsure how. Do I need to drill another hole in the spring to install the line 24 snap or am I just missing something?

Here's a link of what the snap spring looks like:

http://www.highdesertleather.com/id74.html

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve,

I use the same type for thumb breaks. One rivet goes in the "top" hole which sticks out above the gun... the "bottom" hole is where the snap goes. At least thats how I do it.

Eric

Thanks Eric, I'm going to give your method a try. Hey, nice looking work on your Facebook page.

Steve

Hey Steve,

I use the same type for thumb breaks. One rivet goes in the "top" hole which sticks out above the gun... the "bottom" hole is where the snap goes. At least thats how I do it.

Eric

You will probably want to punch a hole in the leather to let the snap be inset...otherwise, it's can be in the way of the gun when drawn.

Mike, when you say, 'punch a hole in the leather,' what size hole are you speaking of.

Thanks,

Steve

You will probably want to punch a hole in the leather to let the snap be inset...otherwise, it's can be in the way of the gun when drawn.

Big enough for the snap. For line 24 snaps, 1/2" will work, but ya gotta kind of wiggle the snap in. 9/16ths would be almost perfect. You're basically making an inlay with the snap....that way it doesn't scratch the pistol during the draw.

Forstner bits work really well for that.

Thanks Eric, I'm going to give your method a try. Hey, nice looking work on your Facebook page.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I appreciate the kind words from a fellow Missourian ;)

Forstner bits work really well for that.

Forstner bits ARE perfect for counter sinking your snaps! I try to just remove enough leather w/ the bit so that the snap is easier to set. BE CAREFUL though, it's not that hard to drill all the way through your leather.