Thanks for responding, particle. I reckon I should look for one of those. I've been pressing the butt of my edging tool into the trigger guard area.

Thanks, Dickf. I'm going to try a more traditional OWB pattern tomorrow, and I'm hoping it'll look alot better than this one does.

Also, I decided to punch out slots on this one. The stitching around the slots definitely look like an afterthought. But, I'm fairly happy with the first attempt on real tooling leather.

Particle, one more question and I swear I'll stop picking your brain. In your videos, is that a single oblong tool to punch out belt slots?

No problem - yeah, that's a punch from Texas Custom Dies. Weaver carries some nice ones that have a high polish and are sharp when they arrive (but the slots are pretty narrow). My TCD punches took a lot of work to sharpen, and the shoulders are still way too thick to easily punch through thick leather. Maybe they've gotten better since I bought mine a couple years ago.

Edited by particle

I use the press for the tcd punch - smooth slots every time.

Best $60 I've spent on a single tool.

I use the press for the tcd punch - smooth slots every time.

Best $60 I've spent on a single tool.

Does TCD make their punch oversize? I know Shooter had his custom made through Weaver's, so the slot was wider and a smidge longer than a 1.5" belt width. 3/8" x 1.6" I think he told me. I have the Osborne. I was hoping the inside was tapered so I could grind it back to open it up, but it isn't.

Jake

Does TCD make their punch oversize? I know Shooter had his custom made through Weaver's, so the slot was wider and a smidge longer than a 1.5" belt width. 3/8" x 1.6" I think he told me. I have the Osborne. I was hoping the inside was tapered so I could grind it back to open it up, but it isn't.

Jake

They make them to your specs. I had mine made slightly larger than 1.5 x .25.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I've learned alot just from posting this one thread. Now, to get better at making them!