Sign in to follow this  
TXJhawk

Double Layer Gun Belt

I have made a few belts now but only with poor quality leather. I have two side I Herman Oak on the way and was wondering if I should this leather for both sides. I have not been able to compare the difference in H.O. Leather vs Tandy but I do have high expectations. For those of you that make dual layered belts, do you buy cheaper leather for the the inside or just used your good leather for both sides?

Thanks

I use HO on both sides when I double up like gun belts and lined holsters. I don't buy any Tandy Leather, did for years, but finally gave up on it. Additionally I can get HO B Grade for near what Tandy wants for their stuff and HO Craftsman grade for less. The Craftsman grade works ok for some situations, but I predominately use B Grade.

Chief

I use HO on both sides when I double up like gun belts and lined holsters. I don't buy any Tandy Leather, did for years, but finally gave up on it. Additionally I can get HO B Grade for near what Tandy wants for their stuff and HO Craftsman grade for less. The Craftsman grade works ok for some situations, but I predominately use B Grade.

Chief

Same here. HO B grade is all I order now. Tried Tandy and a couple other tanneries, but I like HO best. I've only done one belt (western) and used the HO inside and out.

I use the same on both sides as well. Here's the way I see it... If you are leaving the interior natural, the quality of the leather will be even more apparent than what is visible on the dyed exterior. I'm okay with scars and stuff on the inside layer, but the leather overall still needs to look nice, without a bunch of fat wrinkles, etc...

I use the same on both sides as well. Here's the way I see it... If you are leaving the interior natural, the quality of the leather will be even more apparent than what is visible on the dyed exterior. I'm okay with scars and stuff on the inside layer, but the leather overall still needs to look nice, without a bunch of fat wrinkles, etc...

+1 to all of the above....

I put the scars on the outside! People love them. If a solid piece has a minor wrinkle I will use it to line the inside, but 99% of the time I am using a piece as good or technically better on the inside. Mostly I choose straps based on length rather than looks, they all look good once assembled, especially with well placed "defects"