strudell

Thick Thread, Knot Won't Pull Through

Hello all, I'm having a small problem that is becoming very frustrating. I've switched from Tandy's thin poly thread to their thicker waxed linen (not sure on size comparison, there are 5 cords when I unravel though). When I tie it onto my Tandy harness needle the knot formed doesn't pull through the hole my stitching awl (Osborne no56) makes. I'm forced to pull it through with pliers, breaking thread, undoing the knot, and ruining the flow of a nice hand stitch.

Any tips on making a smaller knot or tapering the cord?

Thanks for your help!

S

Not sure how you're threading your needle byt you shouldn't be tying a knot to keep the needle on. You should thread the needle and then pierce the thread with the needle about 2 or 3 inches from the end you've just pulled through and cinch them together. You shouldn't feel any "knot".

If this is what you are doing you can thin the thread out at the end by wedging it on a flat surface with a razor knife and pulling it out a few times. Kinda like you would curl a ribbon.

Well I'll be damned. I've sewn more than a few yards over the last 6 months thinking I was threading it just like old Al told me too. I'd been tucking that pierced end through the bight before cinching down, creating a good sized knot. Thank you so much for you quick reply, today's project will go so much better with your help!

S