RoosterShooter

Edge Bevelers ... Which Are The Best?

Well, I did it again. I ordered a couple of edge bevelers from Tandy's a couple of weeks back, and now I want new tools! The #2 & #3 edge bevelers leave a lot to be desired.

Where can I get better quality bevelers? These are bunching up the leather when I try and get a continuous cut. I used a neighbor's that he uses for bridles, and it works a lot better. Although, he doesn't remember what brand it is, or when he bought it. He said they sold them years ago at my local Rural King store, but I checked, and they no longer carry leather / harness repair goods.

What brand should I buy? I'm a firm believer in buy them once, and never replace them. I simply got sucked into the sales pitch at Tandy's.

The old Gomph bevelers are the best, but you have to find them, since they aren't made anymore, but for the best price to performance, I'd have to go with Barry King's edge bevelers.

Ron's tools are the best.

http://www.ronstools.com/

Not to insult you but more than one person has failed to remove all of the redish pink coating from the cutting surface of the edger. If you have it all off try stroping it. I have a piece of lace grain side down glued to a board and covered with the white "rouge". I use that to strop my edgers and it works great.

Make sure you hold the beveler at the correct angle. Too low and it can skip, too high and it will gouge. Al Stohlman suggests about 40 dregrees vertical.

Yea, I have Tandy bevelers and have had not one problem with them. You just have to get the angle right.

Not to insult you but more than one person has failed to remove all of the redish pink coating from the cutting surface of the edger. If you have it all off try stroping it. I have a piece of lace grain side down glued to a board and covered with the white "rouge". I use that to strop my edgers and it works great.

Make sure you hold the beveler at the correct angle. Too low and it can skip, too high and it will gouge. Al Stohlman suggests about 40 dregrees vertical.

Yeah, I got all of the protective coating off of them.

I use a leather strop that is attached to my Jet Slow Speed Wet Sharpener. I've been sharpening tools on it for several years, and am familiar with the process. Thanks for looking out for me at any rate!

The tool still gouges leather no matter what angle I use. Also, if I want to bevel a belt cuttout in the holster I end up gouging the heck out of it trying to get it beveled. I've tried lightly damp, and completely dry ... same result.

Yeah, I got all of the protective coating off of them.

I use a leather strop that is attached to my Jet Slow Speed Wet Sharpener. I've been sharpening tools on it for several years, and am familiar with the process. Thanks for looking out for me at any rate!

The tool still gouges leather no matter what angle I use. Also, if I want to bevel a belt cuttout in the holster I end up gouging the heck out of it trying to get it beveled. I've tried lightly damp, and completely dry ... same result.

Sounds like you got a bad one. You can return it and get it replaced. Have them test the new on in front of you if you go to the store to replace it. I have no problems getting a great rounded edge with the ones I have from Tandy. I use the Keen Edgers 2, 3 and 4. All work great as long as they stay stroped. It really does sound like thats a bad one.

FWIW I always lightly dampen the edge when I run the edger on it. Just a thought but hows your angle left to right. The recommended angle is 45 deg from the table top. I doubt its your problem but its worth mentioning.

Michael

Ron's Tools.

Art

Im a big fan of Dixon bevelers ... I have a set that I like alot better than any of my old Gomph or Osbourn's. The learning curve is a little steeper due to their design, but it makes them alot easier to keep sharpened.

Can't advise where to get better beveller cos it's all about budget........personaly, i couldn't justify paying "ronstools" prices at this stage (although i'm sure they are good tools)

I had always used the Tandy ones and didn't realise how hard they are to use until I got an old dixon type one in some old tools that I bought and what a difference! They are on my "list" of things to upgrade.

Just thought, did you check the FOR SALE section, somone was selling some but didn't want to ship them to me in the UK...might still be available?

I ship to the UK, but it can take a while to get through the British customs. I have quite a few Dixon edgers as well as a lot of other edge bevelers. Here's a link to my website page with the bevelers - Leather Edge Bevelers .

I have some of Ron's and I still like the Gomph 100 times better. I can't compare the dixon's because I've never use one.

I have a "Ron's" and it is at my side all the time! I have used it for 4 years and will be buying more when the Wickenburg show is on. I use my Tandy bevelers when I need a different size but spend a lot of time sharpening/stropping to get a decent performance.

Just my .02

Check out Bruce's site, he has some great tools!