Sign in to follow this  
c2369zulu

Horse Stall Mats

Hello All.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the heavy duty rubber "Horse Stall Mats", sold here in the states at Tractor Supply and similar stores, make a great table top surface for your leatherwork area. They are about 3/4" thick and made of a heavy rubber and come in 4'x6' sheets. My whole table top is covered with one, so I can stab holes for stitching right on the table. I cut a smaller1.5"x4" piece from some scrap as a hand stitching backer. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I have not gotten poked with my awl yet. Helps keep leather in place when cutting too. I would not want it under an area used for tooling or other hammering tasks though........Rory

Edited by c2369zulu

I have the whole floor area of my shop covered with them except under the shelving systems. I have not dropped a knife that I can remember since I did. Before that concrete had a magentic attraction for knives. I was always fixing an edge on something that fell blade first to the floor. FWIW, I have them under my stamping bench and cutting bench that I also rivet on. I do have a 150 plus pound granite surface plate inset in my bench and set rivets on an 80# anvil I sling up on the cutting bench. Their mass helps a lot to negate any dampening from the mats, but the mats have sure made the whole shop quieter.

One thing i'd recommend is to tape the joints. I used black duct tape and has held up for about a year and half. Otherwise the seams filled up with stuff and even with their weight sometimes an edge would lift trip me up.

I should also mention as Bruce did above, that the mats are in fact awkward and heavy.......... ;-)

All my tables and benches are covered with it also, I do alot of cutting on it, My marble is not as big as Bruces but about 2.5" thick and I have a piece under it and it does not effect tooling but helps with the noise.

dink