George B

"a Motorcycle Seat ?!" Out Of My Comfort Zone

Okay, here's my dilemma...

I do gun leather and western saddles, I've done one set of motorcycle bags that almost gave me a nervous breakdown (lol) and have been asked to cover a metal seat for a restored HD 883 hardtail.

One of my customers brought me the metal seat, I told him I probably would not be able to spend the time right now researching and experimenting with covering it. It's for a friend of his and he insisted I keep it and give it some thought.

The owner wants a nice heavy, 6 oz. or so black skirting leather cover with no more that 1/2" pad and no piping or designs. Old school is what he said.

I have no idea where to start.

I can take a pic of the metal seat foundation if needed.

I have looked at some tutorials here and everything seems to use piping.

If any one has any suggestions it would be helpful and in the off chance I will not do it, is there any one here that he can ship the seat to and discuss what he wants and then get it?

I think this customer just has too much faith in my abilities and I would at least like to send him to some one who can do it justice.

Thanks, George

If you post some pictures of what it is I'm sure someone will be able to help out. Being a hard-tail, I'm not sure if what you have would be a stock seat as the term "restored" implies. So, with that in mind I don't want to mislead you at all without knowing for sure what you're dealing with. Also, what do you mean by "piping"?

If you post some pictures of what it is I'm sure someone will be able to help out. Being a hard-tail, I'm not sure if what you have would be a stock seat as the term "restored" implies. So, with that in mind I don't want to mislead you at all without knowing for sure what you're dealing with. Also, what do you mean by "piping"?

I'll try to get a pic posted tomorrow, been doing holsters since 6 this a.m.

Not sure where the seat came from, he just handed me a metal seat base with the bolt studs on the bottom.

The piping I'm referring to (probably the wrong term) is the round leather covered cord that is sewn around the edge of the seat to help the bend over at the edge of the seat. On a saddle I would call it a welt.

I was thinking it was something like that. It sounds like he would be opposed to any kind of lace job then since that's what that usually ends up looking like. He's probably looking for a stitched construction. Honestly, so far at least, since you're doing saddles it doesn't sound like this would be too bad of a job for you. But, we'll wait to see what you're dealing with exactly :).

I agree..pictures will be a big help.. ;)

Top and underneath views, so we can see the shape and also how the cover fastens already, if it has one?

Regards

Phil

post-18937-0-70099900-1351688295_thumb.jpost-18937-0-00255300-1351688316_thumb.j

Here are a couple of pics of the seat they want me to cover. Hope this helps.

Simplest and easiest, would be to follow Roger's tutorial on how he stretches leather over the edges and rivets it to the underside, smoothing and cutting off extra as he goes. That will eliminate the lace or "piping"

Simplest and easiest, would be to follow Roger's tutorial on how he stretches leather over the edges and rivets it to the underside, smoothing and cutting off extra as he goes. That will eliminate the lace or "piping"

Yep, that's what I was hoping to see out of the pan. You can either stretch it over, or follow one of David's tutorials but just saddle stitch the two pieces together instead of lacing it. I would also use some closed cell foam (easily available as "gym foam"). That will match the customer's requirements and be pretty easy to get done.

George, A motorcycle seat is a cake walk compared to making saddles. You guys have skills that would make it easy.

Nice base to have a go with, George.. ;)

I agree with the others about the way you can tackle this and that with your saddle building skills it should be a piece of cake.

You said you thought, the customer just has too much faith in your abilities..maybe you need to do this to prove your abilities, to yourself??

Now grab it with both hands and be sure to post pics.. ;) LOL..

Regards

Phil

Well, I guess I'll give it a try, worst that can happen is some lost time and a little leather.

I'm sure I'll have questions.

Thanks every one for responding, George

Well, I guess I'll give it a try, worst that can happen is some lost time and a little leather.

I'm sure I'll have questions.

Thanks every one for responding, George

If you're not sure of anything along the way just post it up. I can get a couple others involved too if we get hung up on how to explain something.

If you're not sure of anything along the way just post it up. I can get a couple others involved too if we get hung up on how to explain something.

Thanks very much, you guys have been a big help already and I'm sure I'll be asking questions. George

George, I know if you can make the saddle that you are standing in from of in your pic, you can knock this out of the park. Be sure and post some pics as you go.

George, this right up your alley. Think about it and get the entire project straight in your mind. Think about covering a mini saddle. You'll do fantastic. Have at it!!!

OK SOMEONE GIVE THE GOOD OLE BOY SOME REAL ANSWERS!

1st is the mounting bolts on the Pan? I see the bolts for the swing arm but not the springs!

So get those wielded in first and clean up those sloppy wields.

after that;;

Foam: get some black closed cell foam or even the kind of foam used in gym matts, but it needs to be a closed cell no matter what. Home Depot should have some 1/2"-1" closed cell for wrapping pipes with normally sold in 4x8 sheets.

1. Spray glue or Contact Glue on the foam and leave it bigger than the pan at first after it is glued on take an old sharp knife and cut off the extra foam.

Get yourself a sanding drum paddle thing that goes on a drill and round off the edges and shape the foam.

like in this link....

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=39248

2.Make your leather pattern 1cm larger than the pan after the foam is on.

Do this for the bottom as well, but I tend to leave the bottom ruff cut much bigger until it is dyed/stained/oiled and ready to glue on.

3. Do your tooling or whatever you want on the top piece, then contact cement the top on and the bottom and then use a pair of shears or heavy scissors to cut the bottom to the shape of the top pattern....

Punch holes for lace or sew it together however he wants it.....

If you really don't want to do it...JUST MAIL IT TO ME:) I'll do the job for ya;)

Any more questions?

It is easy as falling off the bar stool! A saddle guy like you should have no problem I know but working out of your element even for me can be stressful and I think it is better to ask than to not ask!

I hope this helps a bit!

Good Luck!!!!!

Or MAIL IT TO ME:)

OK SOMEONE GIVE THE GOOD OLE BOY SOME REAL ANSWERS!

1st is the mounting bolts on the Pan? I see the bolts for the swing arm but not the springs!

So get those wielded in first and clean up those sloppy wields.

I didn't even notice the lack of spring mounts..... duh

But, the holes appear to be there for it if that counts for anything.