Hello everyone, I'm new here but have been lurking and learning for a while. My daughter has started school to be a hairstylist and asked me to make her a "holster" to carry her scissors, comb, brush, razor, etc in. She said the ones that the school sells are vinyl and very cheaply made and since I was now trying to learn to be a leathersmith...................!!! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has made these before or maybe has a pattern or maybe would just share their thoughts. Keep in mind that I'm a beginner! She will be keeping 3 pairs of scissors, small electric razor (like used to trim mustache) a couple of combs and a brush. I was also hoping to carve a UK emblem on it somewhere. Thanks in advance!

BTW, I am very impressed by how helpful and friendly everyone is. This forum is really great!

Bill

You might have her get one of the vinyl ones if they are not expensive and reverse engineer it for a pattern. When you get a paper or cardboard pattern mocked up have her look at it and arrange the pockets to fit her and go from there. If that is not an option start with an old belt and do cardboard or paper pockets until you get what she wants. Cardboard is much cheaper than leather. Good luck

David

If her scissors came in leather cases made to fit them, you may want to add loops to attach them. A good pair of shears will last practically forever if they are treated properly. I use 25 (Hikari)and 27 (Matsuzaki) year old scissors daily! They have never been set on anything harder than their leather cases and I have them sharpened a few times a year. In the very least, make sure that each pair of scissors has its own compartment.

Good luck!

Hikari scissors are $$$! Any Japanese cutting instrument is though. As for the holster, I imagine this would be a fun and easy project to do! I'd explore building it as a shoulder type rig as well :)

I've seen hairdryer holsters that resemble fat gun holsters, so I think wandering through the Holsters subforum should give you some good ideas. For the pockets for the scissors, razor, brush, and comb, you might want to consider lining them, perhaps with a heavy mil clear vinyl, on the inside. While the vinyl wouldn't be visible, it would allow the pockets to be wiped with a disinfecting solution, such as barbacide. A local hairstylist was asking me about having a "leg apron" made, and wanted to make sure that he complied with our state cosmetology regulations by having the surface that touched the comb, scissors, and clippers able to be sanitized.

Kinda an old post but interestingly enough I made something for my wife who is also a hairdresser its a trifold holder for her shears combs and clips going to try to post some pictures hope this helps it won't let me post the best part which was the inside lol but I used soft pugskin and created some loop pockets attached them with rivets and sewed the bottom then put two stripes across the hold the clips post-40892-0-39226200-1365655487_thumb.jpost-40892-0-58209100-1365655949_thumb.j