Zacharyc

Horse Hide

Vegetable tanned horse hide it 7.99 for 5lbs on springfield. how is this stuff? anyone use it ever?

IS. IT IS 7.99 for 5lbs. I am an idiot.

7.99 for 5 pounds of pieces. They could be from hand size to a lot bigger. Guess it would be a luck of the draw thing on what you get as far as the size of the pieces.

I love this stuff. I picked up a box of this 5lbs box from Springfield last month. The largest sections were about 8"x8" and strips abut 3"x20" or 4"20". You're not going to make bags out of this stuff, but for pocket goods, it's great. And if you are a member of the Springfield gold club, it's $5 for 5lbs. It is horse hide so the fibers are a bit tighter then cow hide. You do have to whack at little harder to get a good stamp imprint, but I think it's a great deal.

I ordered it. Seems like a great deal for someone like me that is just getting started. Someone referred me to springfield a while back and I love that place. I also got a 12 x 15 granite slab for 19 bucks. Im not buying from Tandy ever ever ever again.

I also just made a stitching pony for under 10 dollars. Tandy wants a benjamin plus shipping for that sucker. They are thieves.

Heres a pretty sweet deal too for anyone looking for daubers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z2S0GQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

besides the 5lb bag, you might also check out the horse butts. They aren't as big as a shoulder, but there's quite a bit of useable leather. Still $12.

There are also the drum dyed horsebutts. They are thinner, but longer then the natural horsebutts. Not for wide projects, but great for strap goods, small sheaths, pouches and palm size projects. The price can't be beat either. http://springfieldleather.com/29876/Horsebutt%2CDrumDyed%2CBlack%2CEa/

I like the price of the horse hide. But I emailed some lady from springfield, and she said they are UNTOOLABLE. Is that word? It is now. Yes you can stamp them with a good smack. But you can not swivel them up. Bummer.

Still pretty cool though. 7.50 for 5 lbs my god.

Somebody told me you cant tool oil tanned leather, after I tooled a holster out of it. It was a real pain, but it's doable if youre willing to try. Just because its not the best doesnt mean its impossible.