Sign in to follow this  
dbusarow

Nails To Use On Skirts

I'm replacing the sheepskins on one of my saddles. The original builder used ring shank nails to hold the skirts on. I am not going to do that, I may need to take it apart again sometime.

My question is, are local hardware store galvanized nails OK for tackng on skirts? Or should I order SS nails?

Thanks,

Dan

I use regular galvanized nails for tacking around the gullet and a ss "saddle screw & washer" right up in the hand hole, you could use a nail there too but it'd be hard to drive it. I think the Stohlman books show this too.

Good luck,

Josh

I have some #10 SS screws and washers. I don't think I would risk using one to attach the skirts though. Isn't that likely to touch the horse?

Thanks for the confirmation that galvanized will work

Dan

I have used galvanized #3 nails in the gullet for years. They hold well, will not rust, and can be pulled out if needed. Ring shanks hold well, but you will rip the leather over the head before it lets go....I guess you already know that.

Dan,

I looked around on my computer to see if I could find a picture showing where I use the screw and this is the best I could find;

post-19070-0-29531000-1352902119_thumb.j

The screw is angled as sharply as possible back into the bar to pull the skirt out of the hand hole. You access it through the handhole and set it as high as possible. Between the location, the angle and the way the screw sucks the skirt away from the horse I can't imagine it ever being a problem.

I'm pretty new to building saddles so I'm not basing this on "years" but I have spent around 16 months using one I made with no issues at all and our horses have pretty standard withers.

Best regards and good luck!

Josh

PS the pic is of the first saddle I made, judge accordingly : - )

My nails of choice for 50+ years and that copied from someone then almost as old as I am now have been cement coated. They have kind of a golden colored look to them and I use them exclusively. When attaching skirts for a skirt rigged saddle, I use phillips 1 1/2 x 14 with a nickel washer in the gullet and up underneath the cantle. BTW, when I was coming up a rule to be faithfully followed was to build things like you might someday have to take them apart to repair them and that should not damage tree or parts.

I have used galvanized #3 nails in the gullet for years. They hold well, will not rust, and can be pulled out if needed. Ring shanks hold well, but you will rip the leather over the head before it lets go....I guess you already know that.

Thanks Troy. Yes, the ripped leather is what convinced me that I am NOT using ring shanks when I put it back together.

The screw is angled as sharply as possible back into the bar to pull the skirt out of the hand hole. You access it through the handhole and set it as high as possible. Between the location, the angle and the way the screw sucks the skirt away from the horse I can't imagine it ever being a problem.

Josh, I was looking at the saddle this morning and figured out what you mean. You're right, it does look safe.

I use phillips 1 1/2 x 14 with a nickel washer in the gullet and up underneath the cantle. BTW, when I was coming up a rule to be faithfully followed was to build things like you might someday have to take them apart to repair them and that should not damage tree or parts.

Thanks for the reminder of the screw behind the cantle. The nails there were a bear to get out too, and screws seem like a simple choice there.

And yes, I am putting this back together in a way that will allow me to do it again a LOT easier. That is a wise rule.

Thanks guys.

Dan

Edited by dbusarow