DJ1935

Juki Lu 563 Tension Problem

We have recently purchased a Juki LU 563. I've threaded it up as per the manual and it sews like a charm. However every now and then the thread falls out from between the bottom tension discs which creates a huge birds nest on the bottom by the time you realise it's happened. It seems a silly idea to rely on the gravitational pull of the moon to hold the thread up ( when everyone knows the earth sucks!) so have I missed something or is this frustratingly "normal" for this model.

You must thread the top thread through whatever post or multi-hole guide comes before the upper tensioner. But, this is of little help if the thread is acting like a spring coming off the spool. Is the spool sitting on a thread stand cup and feeding straight up, through a guide eye, then on to the top of the machine?

Is this black bonded nylon thread (he asked knowingly)?

Too much tension will at times "push" the thread out from between the disks. This happens more with heavier threads.

For springy nylon thread, put a lightweight plastic bag over the cone with a hole in the top. This all but eliminates thread whip. Also, if you hear the disks click at all, your thread is twisting around itself and popping open the discs removing the thread. The click you hear would be the clump of thread going through the disks.

As Wiz mentioned, make sure you've got some wraps on the thread before the tensions. Wrap the thread clockwise (asuming left twist thread) around the top post and the pre-tension guides.

It could also be the tension release while the foot's raised going over thicker areas. If that's the case, adjust the lift so the disks open at a higher point.

Regards, Eric

Thank you for your replies. The thread is left twist Polyester (called here Terko satin #25) on a cone sitting on a the stand. (I was given some nylon thread to try a few years ago by a traveller but gave it up as a bad joke - it never stayed on the cone and seemed to have a mind of it's own) Goes verticle through the wire eye, straight to the post on machine, round post twice (through three holes) then straight to three hole thread eyelet where it goes round twice then down to the tension discs. Today was sewing zippers on single thickness suede, no humps, bumps or lumps.

Cheers

DJ

Every now and then I find a bit of dirt/rust/old thread between the tension disks but I suspect Eric may have hit the nail on the head with his last line.

I just thought I'd throw in my $0.02.If your not careful when threading this type of tension unit this can happen because the thread isn't pulled past the little guide on the lower thread disc,called thread controller.Sometimes the little screw loosen & it'll turn clockwise & put this at an angle that will make it hard the get the thread in past the guide, so the little screw should be in the middle of the slot,if it's on the leftside then here is where the problem is,See attached diagram.

When you thread this you pull it down the rightside,under,up the left & pull the thread to the right until you hear a snapping noise,then it will be behind were it belongs & won't jump out when your sewing.

HTH

Bob

post-7185-0-90219100-1352981690_thumb.jp

Thank you, Bob, you were right on the money. I wasnt pulling the thread up quite enough to snap it into place. All good now though.

Thanks to all who answered, much appreciated.

DJ

I've got a clone of something that has the same tension disk set up and i like to never figured out how to get it threaded. When i looked this afternoon the slot is to the left. So i'm going to try what you said Bob and move it to the middle. Bob thanks for telling what needed to be done and thanks DJ for asking. As least two people have been helped maybe more.

Thank you, Bob, you were right on the money. I wasnt pulling the thread up quite enough to snap it into place. All good now though.

Thanks to all who answered, much appreciated.

DJ

When you said the thread was jumping out I thought this might be the problem.I'm glad to hear you got it sewing.

Bob