BradB

Marble Slabs

I lucked out this last weekend, I was going by a custom granite shop and stopped by to see how much they would charge for a slab (my wife wants to get started in tooling). The manager asked what size I needed and I told him, he said follow me and took me to the back loading dock area. Pointed to a pallet full of remnants and said take what ever you want! I wound up walking away with 2 slabs that are 20.5" long X 13" Wide X 1/5" thick, they are granite but should work just fine.

He said that during the week the pallet is over flowing with pieces and to stop back by if I needed more... I wonder how long it would take to accumulate enough remnants to do my bathroom floor, all in different shapes etc....

Figured I would mention it just in case someone needed some slabs.

Brad

I have an 18" x 24" x 3" surface plate of solid granite with 2 ledges. It's certified flat to within .00015". The stand cost me more than the plate! The plate was about $50 and the stand $55. It works very nicely with a poundo board. Very solid platform.granite_plate.jpg

:banana::banana::banana:

I lucked out this last weekend, I was going by a custom granite shop and stopped by to see how much they would charge for a slab (my wife wants to get started in tooling). The manager asked what size I needed and I told him, he said follow me and took me to the back loading dock area. Pointed to a pallet full of remnants and said take what ever you want! I wound up walking away with 2 slabs that are 20.5" long X 13" Wide X 1/5" thick, they are granite but should work just fine.

He said that during the week the pallet is over flowing with pieces and to stop back by if I needed more... I wonder how long it would take to accumulate enough remnants to do my bathroom floor, all in different shapes etc....

Figured I would mention it just in case someone needed some slabs.

Brad

Thats the same way I got mine. Saw a truck on the Interstate and went to its shop. "AKA" stalking.

Tom

Wow. Nice! You need a 10 people to move it. LOL

ArtS

That's the same way I got my granite slab--I saw the custom stonework store on a nearby street and walked away with a scrap piece of granite countertop. It's ragged on one edge, and I suppose I should smooth it down one of these days, but it didn't cost me a cent.

I got 3 pieces of granite from a monument maker. Two of the pieces have a name and dates on one side but the other side is smooth. The 2 pieces with markings are roughly 8x17x4 and 10x20x6. The other piece is has 2 smooth surfaces but has rough edges. He did not want to name a price just said give him what they were worth. Since I stopped him from work, I gave him 20 dollars. He was happy and I was happy so good deal all around. He even took my wife and I on a tour of his shop to show us how he made stencils and engraved the stones.

A lot of places that do custom granite and marble counter tops will give you sink cut outs for little to nothing.

I have a monument maker across the street. I cant believe I never made the connection DUH

Tank

:jawdropper:

A lot of places that do custom granite and marble counter tops will give you sink cut outs for little to nothing.

I had not thought about it but that is probably what I got was sink cutouts!