DHopper

Art Deco Cabinet Singer Model 15-

Hey all. Please excuse my complete rookie sewing machine status. I'm spending quite a bit of time researching, but wanted to ask the experts here as well.

Just found this Singer Model 15- today at a local thrift shop. Now, I do know that this is not a substitute for a true industrial machine that I'll need for regular holster production. What I'm hoping is that it will be a good side machine for sewing straps, trim pieces, and other small projects.

From what I've read and seen so far; it looks like it should be up to the job. Could any of you help me with what needles I could use for leather up to 1/4" tops? I'm thinking I could use #69 nylon thread. It looks like everything is here in the cabinet, except the power cord; which looks to be available online for $7. And yes, I'm assuming it runs. Looks to have been babied for a loooong time and is super clean. I'll get more pics tmrw morn when I pick it up.

Anyone using one of these? I've found a couple manuals on pdf, but would love more info if you have any. Thank you in advance!

Oh - it was $10!

photo-162.jpg

photo-163.jpg

photo-164.jpg

borrowed cabinet pic

Edited by DHopper

You got a steal and yes it will use #69 thread and you'll be amazed at what these 15-91s will plow through. I have one and love it. Cheryl

Thanks, Cheryl! I'm excited to use a machine for the first time, even if its only on my small duty stuff. My fingers are tired. LoL!

Could you tell me which leather needles I should look for that will work on the 15?

Dave

Just go to a sewing shop or even walmart and get a package of sewing machine needles in different sized. They are color coordinated and have 80/11, 90/14 and 100/16. I've never used any but the 11 and 14s so far and I sew 7-8oz guitar straps with foam and lining on the backs. Remember, the 15-91 does everything backward from all the other singers. The needle goes facing the opposite way, the thread goes in from behind, not in front, and it threads on the side away from you, not next to you. Have fun with it!!! Cheryl

Thx again, Cheryl!

Ordered a power cord and extra bobbins & bobbin case this morning. Picked up Schmetz 110/18 leather needles as well.

Snapped a few more quick pics when I got the machine today.

photo-165.jpg

photo-166.jpg

photo-170.jpg

photo-167.jpg

photo-169.jpg

Dave did it come with a manual? If not you can get them online. I'll get you the links just in case.

http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/15-91.pdf

Parts list.

http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/15-91.pdf

Take good care of her, your purchase is worth a lot more than $10 in certain circles. ;)

That baby looks lovely.

I often suggest that people get a 15 or 201 purely to get some hours up on a machine before spending the big bucks. It almost impossible to break a 15 and for $10 you should have no fears about pulling it apart putting it back together to learn how it all works.