Lobo

Customized Handguns, Tactical Lights, Etc. Reality Rears Its Ugly Head Again.

Dwight has it ! imho

I'll have to say that I can see both sides of this discussion. My volume isn't quite as high as Lobo's, but getting close. I also maintain a full time job outside holster making. I have no help, so I make all the holsters myself. I only have 4 holster models and 4 matching magazine carriers available. Customers still request semi custom or fully custom rigs all the time. I get emails almost daily from people wanting shoulder holsters, holsters (both IWB and OWB) for weapons with attached lights, holsters with exotics that I do not stock, etc. Some just want "semi" custom work, which would include a change in cant angle, belt slots for strong side carry and crossdraw, or maybe unique reinforcement patches. I also get requests all the time for belts, which I just do not have time to make right now.

In the past, I've accepted "custom" orders for the most part without hesitation. As my volume has grown, I've come to the realization that I just can't do everything for everyone. I turn away more custom work than I accept now. It takes me approximately 3 - 4 times as long to make a fully custom holster. When I can only accept a certain number of orders per month, it just doesn't make "business" sense to do that. I can replace that one "custom" order with 4 standard offerings, which is more profitable.

When turning down a custom order, especially for something I don't really see as functional, I'm not as long winded as Lobo was in his reply, but I might be after doing this for 40 years. I had an instance just yesterday where a customer sent a picture of a holster and mag carrier they had just received from me. The holster was ordered for a 3" 1911. I made the holster to fit a 3" 1911. The customer was very happy with the holster. When I looked at the picture, the muzzle of the gun was hanging about 1/2" out of the holster. The gun was a 3.5" 1911, not a 3". I replied and mentioned that the gun appeared to be a 3.5" 1911. I have not received a reply.

Custom work is custom work, it takes more time and the charges need to reflect that. That being said is someone really going to pay you for the true value of your time? If you work typically sells for X and you can produce 3 regular holsters in the time it takes to complete 1 full on custom that you may never make again will the customer pay you 3 times X for one holster? Tough call, everbodys time is worth something. In my day job I deal with this on a regular basis (goldsmith) people want something that nobody else has, I may not like the design but they are not paying me to like it. So I figure how much time it will take and how much I can typically generate dollar wise in that time and thats what the price is. Nobody eles makes it, and there will be only one so the price is higher. Some go for it others find something close in a catalog, or find someone to do it cheaper. Also if I really don't want to do it the cost goes up a bit more, some things are just a PIA to make, and frustration adds to the price as well. BUt full on custom has it's rewards too, nobody else has done it and it's nice to be able to do something different and get paid for it!

Mark,

Those are awesome! My LE buddy wants me to make one and I may have to imitate yours slighty, I really like the renforcement on the trigger side, great thinking.

Just my .02

Jeremy

Edited by J Hayes

I just send an email and say, "Thanks for your inquiry, I do not make ____________ (fill in the blank). I appreciate you thinking of me".

I've learned to say no a little more and try to concentrate on my more regular business.

I'm not just blowing smoke when I said send him to me, not to use him as a guinea pig and give it a try or experiment, but because i've been working with this concept for the past few years. The original prototype of the below holsters was made for an operator friend, who ran it and tested it in the harshest of environments for over a year. After finding no flaws with it, and dubbing it one of the most comfortable IWBs he has ever worn despite it's bulk, a contract order was made for his entire team. Seeing the holster in use has led to a few other multiple contract orders for the same holster by other agencies. So it can work, and several hard-core customers who wear a pistol for much greater length of time than most CCW holders are not the least bit disappointed. The below holster has been made by me for Glocks, Sigs, and 1911s.

IMG_4066.jpg

What, exactly, is "an operator friend"? Does that mean they work for the phone company? :)