almac

Where To Begin?

i recently bought the Tandy CraftAid #76579 Leaves & Horse Belt & Billfold Craftaid.

http://www.tandyleat...s/76579-00.aspx

all the other craftaids that i have, usually have a drawing that includes what stamps to use.

this craftaid has a beautifull drawing, but includes no stamp lists or recommendations. :head_hurts_kr:

can anyone offer a few ideas on what stamps i should be using for the leaves?

I want to put the leaf design on a book cover.

any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks for your input.

Those leaves aren't stamped, they're carved. Transfer the pattern to the leather and use the swivel knife to make your cuts. Then use a beveler for the outlines, and possibly an undercut modeling tool to lift the edges a little.

If you have a checkered beveler, you could use that too. The lines on the inside of the leaf should be done with the swivel knife and are known as decorative cuts.

Keep in mind the tools listed on your craftaids are "suggested" tools. Remember that Craftool makes craftaids AND craftool stamps, so if "they" can show you something done with craftools they may sell more craftools! :) (I use craftools myself).

Bottom line, you'll likely want a "shader" or a thumbprint" (depending on the brand) to form the rough contour of the leaves. Checked bevelers 'burnish' a bit more than smooth ones, so personal preference (Pic 1)

On something the size of a book cover, I prefer to use a coarse backgrounder around the design to set it apart rather than matting the entire area (pic 2)

Hope this helps ...!

twinoaks: i knew that they were to be carved and then the image is make "3dimensional" using stamps. i was just trying to figure out what tools to use after the carvin'. most craftaids have tool numbers writen on them. ;)

JLSleather: thanks for the input. and THANKS A LOT for the images! :)

As stated before, those numbers a re a guide only, but only a rough outline. I prefer a smooth pear shader myself, so as long as you follow the basic outline of knife, bevel, shade, lift, modeling tool and decorative cuts, it's really your preference. By not being stuck to what is recommended, you can begin to develop your own style or feel.

Even the above order is subject to change depending on what effect you want, so go experiment!

You're welcome :) These images were chosen because:

1) the first is the maple leaf you are doing.

2) the first pic shows a smooth shader and a depressed background, the second shows a 'checked' shader and a tapered background

Here's one more with the maple shaded with a 'checked' shader (old Stohlman design).