lawnpotter

Repairing Dents ?

Hi I am a new member here. I am not a Leather creator but a leather lover and I have an inquiry please.

I live in Vancouver Canada, could you please advise me what type of person I should be looking for to repair my all leather brief case. It is actually in very good shape except I stored it carelessly and it has all kinds of scratches and dents. I think the scratches could be dealt with but what about the dents. Should I try a blow dryer with leather lubricant or should I seek a professional? If professional what kind? shoe cobbler or upholsterer or a luggage speacilist? or should I look for a local leather maker club? Bye the way I think the dents and scracthes are only cosmetic but I am beating my self up cause the damage could have been avoided with more careful storage

As a side note, I dont really feel that this briefcase belongs to me cause my mom gave it to me about 25 years ago but it originally belonged to my sister and I believed she used it for university. For years I never thought much of it but as I get older I realize how wonderful it is and I would use it if i felt it truley belonged to me. Since my mom originally gave it to my sister as a gift I feel that it belongs to my sister still. It is possible that my sister told my mom to get rid of it I dont know. Generally my sister is not a sentimental person and I am.I love the bag but I am going to offer it back to my sister and I would like to present it in the best shape possible . The briefcase has my sisters initials on it but her and I share the same initials.

Finally for members that own a leather brief case, how do you view cosmetic dents and scracthes? Do you consider them to be flaws or more like well earned battle scars like a baseball glove or Willie Nelsons old guitar with a hole worn in to it.Do you feel the scratches make it look and feel ratty or are you kind of proud of them cause it shows you use the briefcase? I heard that good quality leather scars easily and this brief case certainly does. I wonder if this is like buying a new canoe, at first you cringe at every scrape but eventually you give up and except the scatches.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by lawnpotter

I couldn't say how to have it repaired without seeing it, but my thought leans towards the battle scar aspect. I don't know about others, but I want my stuff to be used. Granted, I like to hear that things are being properly cared for, but at the same time I wouldn't want to see it locked away in a display case not being used for its intended purpose.

Thanks Cyberthrasher.

Another bit of info. actually there are no scracthes that penatrated the surface. What i have are various dents and long thin impresessions. I made one with my finger nail to see how easy it was to do, it was easy.The leather seems tough but also soft at the same time. As I said, it is still very shinny, no marks penetrated the skin.

They are marks with some deeper and thicker than others.I am not sure if dent is a good word, maybe small dents.

Edited by lawnpotter

Is it in the leather, or the padding under the leather? Pretty tough to "dent" dry leather, but under that is probably masonite and some sort of padding.

There is no padding. Just one peice of thick leather. I can access and see and feel both sides(outer and inner skin) The inner skin looks and feels perfect. It is a very thick sturdy piece of leather.

I will try to post a picture tommorow, but in the meantime, imagine pressing the end of your car key hard against a thick piece of car leather for a minute. It would probably leave an imprint and that is what it might look like.

they look something like the dent in this video except mine is a small breif case with thicker leather. I beleive the briefcase made constant pressure contact with a buckle on my guitar case.

You might be able to lessen the appearance of these by coating the leather with saddle soap -- the inside, too, if you can. Then work it with your hands, bending and pushing it, you can work the surface out a little bit. It will probably never be perfect, but you can lessen the appearance doing this for sure.