vander

String cutter

A while back Smilin Jim designed and made a lace cutter and beveler that works really good for me. He sent me one and while I haven't used it as much as some of you might, I have really been pleased with it. It cuts good and is pretty quick to setup and change the blades in. Billy P

cutting_large_circle.JPG cutting_small_circle.JPG

Thought these might help someone understand a little better.

Rob

That looks great, I have one question..... well initially

do you just gently pull the string, what stops it cutting straight off? I have tried several lace makers and failed to create more than a couple of feet before I slice off the end d'oh! Is it just experience or is there a secret.....

You can tell me I won't tell anyone else lol :blahblahblah:;)

Pip,

I cannot speak for the other cutters but for mine I have to keep a close eye on where the cutting is happening and keep everything feeding into the blade just so. Otherwise what you are experiencing will happen. Assuming you are cutting from a circle and cutting rawhide it is possible to get to much hide between the blade and collar which will either cause the rawhide to roll or put enough pressure on the blade to snap it off. (Watch your eyes) Like most things done well there is a element where timing and feel become very important and experience is about the only teacher that can help.

Rob

Pip,

I cannot speak for the other cutters but for mine I have to keep a close eye on where the cutting is happening and keep everything feeding into the blade just so. Otherwise what you are experiencing will happen. Assuming you are cutting from a circle and cutting rawhide it is possible to get to much hide between the blade and collar which will either cause the rawhide to roll or put enough pressure on the blade to snap it off. (Watch your eyes) Like most things done well there is a element where timing and feel become very important and experience is about the only teacher that can help.

Rob

Thought so! worth a try! I will just keep practising.

I've never cut rawhide but with roo if you have instructions it isn't difficult, even for a rookie...like me. Gail's first book shows you how to cut a roo hide and the cutter I bought also came with those same instructions. It is true that experience will perfect your lace, as mine is getting better, but done properly anyone can cut a roo hide pretty good.