Sign in to follow this  
Haroldson

Carpet Knife

Don't often buy something on impulse but I stopped at Harbor Freight to pick up a Jacobs 1/2" drill chuck today and while walking around I saw a utility knife with an angled blade for just a few dollars so I bought it for the leatherworking tool box. Turns out it is a carpet knife that uses rectangular blades with two edges. Looks like 4 edges when all is said and done. Top and bottom edges, two ends. Has anyone tried something like this for leather work?

Yes, They work pretty nice for general cutting. Just watch out as most of those knife don't have retractable blades,,, & they are very sharp. My uncle was a carpet installer for many years,,, & he told me many horror story's about people getting cut really bad by those. Ed

Thanks, good to hear they work.

I had some scraps left over from cutting out my first holster shaped object, I think they will get made into a blade cover.

I only use utility knifes (with ordinary blades) and scalpells to cut leather. I got use to them so my round knife is still to be broken in :blink: I never use anything else but a steel ruler with rubber backing for straight cuts, makes it safer....

I was looking for a long ruler with some kind or ridge in the center for long cuts, I think I would like something that the knife isn't likely to skip over or cut through. Had one finger stitched up years ago after shaking hands with a robot, don't care to repeat the experience.

Can't believe the cost of a good cutting board, I got a 12x12 for twenty bucks, but the table top size ones were crazy expensive.

& he told me many horror story's about people getting cut really bad by those. Ed

They are know as a "bloody Mary" to carpet installers.

Haroldson,

I was out the other day shopping for supplies and went to a Quilting store. The sales lady was cutting fabric on the table with a rotary knife and a real cool looking ruler. I asked her about it, and she told me it was a quilting ruler. They sold them there, and I got one that is 6" wide by 24" long for $24.99. It's quite thick and it has little raised bumps on the underside that hold the material while cutting, my rotary knife just slides right along the thick edge.

I've checked on-line for them, and there are quite a few places that sell them, You can also purchase an anti-slip stick on film for them.

Just Google "quilters quilting ruler" and you'll be able to find someplace near you that sells them.

When looking for your cutting board, see if there's any kitchen supply companies near you. They should have slightly better prices for cutting boards....at least the one down here does. I picked up 2 18x24" boards for around $15 each.

Thanks for the tips, I will have to try a larger quilting store, I was idling around while my wife shopped when I found the 12 in square cutting board that I bought. I didn't see any rulers other than the clear plastic triangles. Gee, I wonder if she would like to go hunting quilt stores this weekend. :)

If you're loooking for a cutting mat with the grid and measurements on it, now's a good time to hit up Joanne's Fabric. A lot of those are already on sale this time of year and they have coupons for 50% off if they're not.