Sign in to follow this  
chancey77

Someone Please Help!

I have an order for my Buddy BEAR. He wants a Sheridan Guitar strap with his name...Sheridan is just not my flair, can someone help me out?? I have tons of old books and like the Lucky8 belt book and some old doodle pages, but I was hoping not to have to copy something...does anyone have some artwork to share? Bear is VERY VERY sick and always wanted a Custom guitar strap, he used to play with Crystal Gail, and has played in lots of bands in teh 60's and 70's opening for Conway Twitty and Waylon.

He has beaten cancer 3 times and treatments have wiped out his heart now only operating at 25%.

To top it all off the cancer is back!

He has sold almost all of his gear and donated all money to charities, and still buys and gives away guitars and basses to kids.

He is salt of the earth and has always been a giver...

NOW IT IS TIME FOR ME TO FULFILL A DREAM!

I have the Lucky 8 belt book and lots of old doodle pages, but nothing in there is cool enough or what I am looking for.

If Anyone has any original artwork to donate to this project it would be JUST AMAZING!

I am WAY out of my element with this kind of style...

I am going to make him a strap to match his idol Duane Eddy's guitar strap. I have sent a message to Deed, Duane's Wife, but I have not had a reply with any pictures of his strap. :(

They are great folks but very busy so I didn't think I would get an immediate reply from them.

As sick as he is I want to get it to him ASAP!

Here is a picture of BEAR with Duane Eddy:)

I want to make Bear something WAY COOLER than Duane's strap:) it will be Black and Natural! Here is the letters I will be using....I just need something simple for the rest that I can section and repeat..His favorite flower is roses, but I also like those rolling curl leaves/Vines to add to it as well. I have seen so many great ones here and just wondered if someone will share:)

The strap is 3" wide so there will be room inside the border and lace for 2.5"

THANKS SO MUCH!

Chancey

post-28433-0-76794000-1354441750_thumb.j

post-28433-0-92308300-1354441905_thumb.j

Chancey, you looking more for a pattern or the actual carving of it? I have Bob Park's book and I'd be happy to try and come up with something, but truthfully, it would be a first time for me. Anyway, if nobody else chimes in, let me know. I'll start working on the basics.

Mike

I am just looking for the art that I can flip flop and repeat... So maybe 3-4 images. I can handle the tooling:) i am so swamped with everything at the moment and don't have time I dedicate to drawing... I have tries already for about 3 hrs and I just suck at this style:) I don't want to just steal someone's work!!!!! I am asking very nicely for Help!!

Please help! I do not just want a copy from a book but something mixed and matched will work in like 3-4 sections I can handle the roses no problem but the vine/leave scroll patterns are my kryptonite......

Bob's book just gives you the elements, you have to lay them out, create your own and arrange them as you see fit. Do you have any books on sheridan carving? I could post some pictures of the stuff I'm talking about if you like. Basically, there's a system to it. Find your main elements like the flowers, and place them, then draw in your vines, stems and stumps in a way to fill the pattern.

So.... If like 3-4 people will help with 1 section a piece it will get knocked out and not take up so much of anyone's time:)

I THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!

Bob's book just gives you the elements, you have to lay them out, create your own and arrange them as you see fit. Do you have any books on sheridan carving? I could post some pictures of the stuff I'm talking about if you like. Basically, there's a system to it. Find your main elements like the flowers, and place them, then draw in your vines, stems and stumps in a way to fill the pattern.

That sounds great!!!! Pm sent:) thanks a million!!!

Absolute GOLD!!! Thanks Mike!!!

I'm sorry about your friend Chancey and wish I could help. I don't do any sheridan style carving so I don't have any original artwork to share. Cheryl

So this is what my wife and I have come up with for art work, along with some end pieces:)

We liked one of the designs but added roses:)

post-28433-0-83077700-1354529178_thumb.j

Ya so the vines just make it all to complicated... Hmmmm what to do??? Start over:)

Hi Chancey,

I'm certainly not an expert on drawing my own patterns, but IMO I don't think the vine work is too complicated. I think the problem is that the roses look a little oversized for the vine work. If they were a little smaller that would allow for some background between them and the vines circling them. That little bit of background would probably make things look less crowded and busy, and I think that would make it look better to your eye. With smaller roses you can also see more of the vine flow and make it easier for the eye to follow. Also, where your design repeats it doesn't look like the vines connect. The top rose of the pattern sort of covers where the vine would continue to the next flower, but not quite. It looks a little like they aren't connected. If you can redraw that to show the vine continuing, I think your design would be fine.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Thanks Bob!! Great advise!

I just got a email from Bears wife, he has been talking to get about bear prints and carvings ...so lets see if he wants that more! I would be very happy either way. I am so far away from my comfort zone with the vines and flowers although I do make a pretty sweet rose:)

I may be saved by the bell!!! I m much more comfortable with figures and animals than Sheridan style stuff!!! I have a couple days while his wife is sending more measurements. :) I have to practice much more of this style just to broaden my work flow! So I think y'all will be seeing a lot more practice pieces for your critique here very shortly:) I must learn!!!

Also I think another problem with that 1st drawing is my work space that I have available. The space for the tooling in the strap is 1.75" wide... So something simpler must be done.

Also I think another problem with that 1st drawing is my work space that I have available. The space for the tooling in the strap is 1.75" wide... So something simpler must be done.

yeah, if you end up sticking with the flowers, then I'd say simplify them to their essence and shrink them down some. Maybe even stick to two simpler versions alternating back and forth. If you look back at Kat's kindle cover, I'm pretty sure the roses on that would fit as a reference for the detail needed.

Chancey,

I believe that your flowers are too large for your vine work. If you were to make your flowers smaller and let the vine work to show more through your project it would make your project look less crowded. In and of itself, vine work is important aspect of the Sheridan style it shows the flow of the design and keeps the persons eye moving through the design. This is how Sheridan patterns seem never ending and seemless. I would love it if you would allow me to take your drawing and show you the difference that i am talking about. I am by no means a master, however i really enjoy drawing sheridan designs. I also am not trying to step on anyones toes, just offering some help.

Hi Chancey, I'm sorry I cant help in any way but I felt I must say what a lovely thing for you to be doing, such a shame about the circumstances though, your friend sounds like a wonderful person. Good luck with your project I hope someone will soon help you out. Jax

Can I steal the roses design. I like the larger blossoms.

Can I steal the roses design. I like the larger blossoms.

Of course you are welcome to it Syl!

Thanks! I might just use this for my own guitar strap!