Natalie O

Does Anyone Know Why My Finish Is Removing My Dye?

Natalie, just a comment from the grump: Water based dyes are odd acting things - - especially when applying a water based finish by mechanical (rubbing in with a rag) means. This application method re-hydrates the dye and allows it to "travel" to the applicator, and in turn, to places you do not want dye - - or it lifts the dye and thins out your original application - - or both. . Years ago I found the acrylic floor cleaner/polish (Mop and Glow) and have used it now for at least 40 years, BUT there is a trick to it when used on water based dyes. I now use the least expensive airbrush made, however, prior to that I used a pump sprayer from 'Windex' glass cleaner. (That seemed to produce the finest 'mist' for applications). Thin the acrylic (Super Sheen) 50/50 with water and spray it on lightly. Do not get as close to the surface you are working on as you would when cleaning windows. Stay off a fair distance and allow the mist from the nozzle to 'fall' on your project - just slightly dampening the surface. Allow to dry for an hour or so, and re-apply. To clean the sprayer, just pump clean water through the thing. Hope this helps. Mike

Hello Mike,

And thank you too for taking the time to give me some advice.

I am now waiting for some new leather to try some of the advice people have given me over here.

So here's a a question that might be a bit stupid, is super sheen always acrylic? Cause my bottle says water based.

And would you think its better to work with acrylic dyes and antiques instead of water based dyes?

What is most commonly used?

Natalie, here's a quick definition of acrylic paint: Acrylic paint is fast drying paint containing pigment suspension in acrylic polymer emulsion. Acrylic paints can be diluted with water, but become water-resistant when dry. Depending on how much the paint is diluted (with water) or modified with acrylic gels, media, or pastes, the finished acrylic painting can resemble a watercolor or an oil painting, or have its own unique characteristics not attainable with other media.

As for what is commonly used, its what you have or can get your hands on, and what works for you. As you can see here there is a group of products here so it just depends on what your preference is.

Mike

Yes Natalie, Super Sheen is an acrylic finish product for leather. If thinned as i explained, it penetrates the leather, and subsequent coats will build up. Too much, and you can end up with a surface that will crack when flexed, so be a little cautious in the application. As 'immiketoo' mentioned, finish products being used end up being what one has available, and/or what one becomes used to using. You might experiment on some scrap with Neat Sheen, olive oil, neatsfoot oil, acrylic floor stuff, neutral shoe polish etc., or combinations of some of these (wax over oil), and determine what you like best. I personally do not care for acrylic PAINT on leather, however many folks do use it. Mike

Edited by katsass

Hello.

We do have quite a few products like that over here. Especially for wooden floors. However i don't know if all of them are good. Is it possible for them to have some sort of chemicals that will destroy the leather?

It would have to be strong enough to destroy the floors too. I would get a couple types and dilute then test on some scrap leather. If all else fails you can clean your floors. LOL