yuliya

Latigo Leashes Question

Hello,

I would like to make some latigo leashes. I've never made anything like this before. It will be a training leash so the design is very simple, but I have a couple questions about the leather.

I would like them to be 5mm thick what weight of leather it will equate to 11-12?

also I need to make sure I can make 6 ft leashes plus handle so I guess I will need to be able to cut out 7ft strips out of it.

Am I looking for the side or a back?

I looked at one supplier and they had oiled latigo and belt latigo, I assume I will need a belt kind, am I correct? whats the difference?

any suggestions for the suppliers?

also, I assume I need some sort of the beveller to bevel all the length to make the off a bit, not a lot but make it more comfortable to hold in the hand?

thank you for your help!

Hi yuliya; You will need sides of oiled latigo as backs will not be long enough. It is hard to get even sides in that length. I use 9-10 oz, and you could tow a car with it. A #2 edge beveler works fine for rounding the edges. Never heard of belt latigo, but regular latigo is waxy and stands up to weather very well. Gump.

Hi yuliya; You will need sides of oiled latigo as backs will not be long enough. It is hard to get even sides in that length. I use 9-10 oz, and you could tow a car with it. A #2 edge beveler works fine for rounding the edges. Never heard of belt latigo, but regular latigo is waxy and stands up to weather very well. Gump.

All good info above,we use latigo on all of our motorcycle products that we manufacture and it will hold up very well for you.Belt latigo may just be a finish,or maybe it runs very even in the thickness.We buy 40 -50 hides of latigo every few months and a lot of these fancy terms are just marketing BS..

thank you so much for the help!

here is where I was looking at:

http://www.wickett-craig.com/index.php/leathers/pricing

they have belt and oiled and belt comes in 3 different grades, and I got totally confused.

for oiled latigo they have 8-10 and 10 -12 which one?

also this might be a silly question but would you normally cut leads in a straight line or in the circle like the lace? I need them 5/8" width and 6 ft.

and is there anything I need to ask for when ordering to make sure I can cut them that long if I have to make straight cuts?