kylecrumrine

Stacked Credit Card Slots

I have mostly made single card slot stuff up until now, but I am interested in making some wallets with multiple card slots that overlap each other like you find in most commercial wallets. I've seen some people do this so that the edges lay flat still. Hollows Leather has a lot of fantastic examples of this, but how do you do it without things getting super thick?

8211416129_f5eea7aab9_z.jpg

My guess would be they only run the leather down just past the slot in front of it, and then use some polyester or similar material to continue the pocket.

Something like this stuff

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/9132-01.aspx

Russ

You notch your pockets where the next one down contacts it so that it only shows one layer on the edge.

You can kind of see it in this picture where I've made the notch on the back layer. There are some templates somewhere around here that also do a good job of showing it, but I didn't have time to look for them. A search for wallet patterns or somethign might turn them up. Also, there are several really good tutorials here. Look for the ones by Kevin King to get a good idea on how to create wallet guts.

post-22094-0-54008000-1355186912_thumb.j

You notch your pockets where the next one down contacts it so that it only shows one layer on the edge.

You can kind of see it in this picture where I've made the notch on the back layer. There are some templates somewhere around here that also do a good job of showing it, but I didn't have time to look for them. A search for wallet patterns or somethign might turn them up. Also, there are several really good tutorials here. Look for the ones by Kevin King to get a good idea on how to create wallet guts.

post-22094-0-54008000-1355186912_thumb.j

I don't quite understand how you stop any card put into the slot from travelling the full length? is the bottom of each pocket secured in some way?

The ones in the picture here are short so both cards go the full length. That's just how I designed it though so it would be quick and functional to make. If you wanted to do more pockets that stop the cards, you can so the bottoms of the back pocket to the one in front of it and so on, leaving the very front one unsewn.

The 5th picture on top of Kevin's tutorial here shows this pretty well.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9940

I don't quite understand how you stop any card put into the slot from travelling the full length? is the bottom of each pocket secured in some way?

Yes. Think of it like a "tip of the iceberg" kind of thing. The half inch or whatever amount of card slot showing will continue down a few inches under the next slot. I stitch it at the bottom of the slot. I'm also trying out cementing to save time, since it is quite time consuming having to re-thread and sew each slot. I'll have to see how that holds up durability wise. If you're using thick leather like the photo you posted, you may very well need to skive down any area that is overlapped. If you use very thin leather you won't run into that problem to the same degree.

Edited by conceptdiba

My guess would be they only run the leather down just past the slot in front of it, and then use some polyester or similar material to continue the pocket.

Something like this stuff

http://www.tandyleat...ts/9132-01.aspx

Russ

That is what I use

You use a hole punch on each side and trace the curve on the backside from hole to hole then cut it out with a sharp blade.

it's not to hard to do it that way.

you can use https://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/en-cad/search/searchresults/3777-01.aspx or buy them by sets.

Hope it helps

Howard

that was not exactly what I wanted to know, but thanks for your answer :) my fault, I did not explain myself clearly :) I don't understand is how they work...do they have lining material in the interior? if you put cards in the higher slots, how can they stay outside the slit without sliding down?

http://leatherworker...?showtopic=9940

The fifth picture should explain it. This is from the Kevin King tutorial for wallet guts. Different style but same basic idea. Listed in the "How Do I Do That" section of the forum.

Basically the bottom of each "top" pocket is attached/sewn to the next one in line. Since the pockets are stacked like stairs the bottom stair/step is sewn to the second stair/step about 3/4 of the way down so that the stitches are out of sight. then the second stair/step is sewn to the third in the same manner. when the pockets/stairs are sewn together (as in picture 5 from the tutorial) you get enough room for the cards without any getting lost in the guts of the wallet

Hope this helps to clarify a little more

Horn

Edited by hornm