ShunkaWakan

Wow! Glad I Found This Site!

Hello! I just walked in the door here. Looking around a bit. Tons of stuff to read and look into. I surely need to come back often and check things out in here!

About a year ago, I began a new hobby that I just love. Breyer Horse Saddle Making. Love the smell of leather! My first trip to Springfield Leather was so awesome! The smell of the leather in there just made me want to camp out in there!

I've only made about 5 Saddles so far. They are 3 inches long. So everything is very small. The tooling leather is thinner. The tools all have to be much smaller. Lucky for me that there are places to obtain the small stamping tools needed for this hobby. But I also see where I need to learn how to carve on the leather.

Not only do I need to learn a ton yet, but I also need to learn the "correctness" of how each type of saddle is put together. I rode a few horses when I was young and loved it. So I do know which way the horn goes on the horse! haha But I never knew how many different saddles there were! I thought they were all the same. Not!

So for now, to begin with, I'll put some photos of what I've made so far on here. I'd love to hear from Big Horse Saddle Makers! These Saddles I am trying to learn to make, are for Breyer Horses. People show them at shows just like a Big Horse Show. So the correctness has to be right on.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings! You won't. By your comments, and help, I will learn! And that is what I need to do. Thanks for looking!

post-37176-0-17488600-1355236585_thumb.j

post-37176-0-98717000-1355236695_thumb.j

post-37176-0-84988000-1355236823_thumb.j

post-37176-0-40136600-1355236937_thumb.j

post-37176-0-29775700-1355237087_thumb.j

post-37176-0-61723100-1355237216_thumb.j

Welcome and great saddles! I think... Pics are out of focus and I really want to see the details.

Edited by immiketoo

Where in the world did you get those teeny tiny buckles and stirrups?

Hey Immiketoo Thanks! I just recently found the "macro" button on my camera snd and should be able to get better detail hopefully in the future. It is hard to do the detail on an object that is only 3 inches in length to start with. And I'm having trouble getting the detail "set" into the leather that is so thin also. The thicker regular saddle leather, I can get deeper detail. I'm thinkin maybe I am getting the thinner leather too wet or something. But it is all great fun!

Hey Sylvia, The buckles are hand made from jump rings. Splitting the jump ring open, make the tongue, slip in on, then solder the jump ring back together. But also, their are much fancier buckles already made up that one can buy too. Specialty places that sell the miniature saddle stuff. Lots of cool stuff!