Sign in to follow this  
Handstitched

Belt Keepers

G'Day From a very stormy Western Australia,

After making over 2 dozen belts in a row the other (very late) night,I thought to myself, "there has to be a quicker way to join the keepers".

So, I was wondering if there is a much quicker and acceptable way of joining the the belt keepers?

Mainly on large amounts of plain belts. ( my 'bread & butter belts' as I call them)

Handstitching is all well and good and I do enjoy it, , but when theres many belts to be made, handstitching over 2 doz belt keepers, (somestimes more) becomes rather boring and laborious, I can almost do it with my eyes closed. :crazy:

All the best,

Thanks

HS :)

Hi, what method of stitching do you use? We were taught to stitch keepers "single hand" ie only using 1 needle & making a back stitch or I know it won't look as nice but could you put a rivet in your keepers? Stitching keepers can be a pain I've stitched a number of bridles for a saddler in the past.

There's a special stapler specifically for keepers, or you can buy pre made keepers, but they are very generic.

I use the common, garden variety of steel staples, used in the construction trade.

I put three in each keeper, . . . from the outside, . . . and using a pair of needlenosed pliers, . . . turn them down into the leather.

I've never had a problem, . . . and once they are encapsulated within the leather finish, . . . they won't rust, . . . and I can do a keeper with staples in less time than I can find a needle and get it threaded.

Also, . . . it is one of those things that I do when I find myself out of other "things to do". Make keepers for belts, . . . make suicide straps for holsters, . . . make belt straps for holsters, . . . etc. Doing those things keeps me from the television and re-runs of Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, and Bonanza, . . . not that they are bad, . . . but I don't want to watch all the re-runs at one time.

May God bless,

Dwight

belt keeper.bmp

Edited by Dwight

G'day again, and thank you for the prompt replies.

The method I use is the 'ye olde' fashioned method, make holes with an awl, two holes made at either end of the keeper which is approx 15 mm wide, a length of thread, (knot at one end) , single needle, with the needle passed through the holes twice. I wind the thread around where the join is , and pull firmly, so that the thread looks like an 'X' on the inside.

I like the idea of the staples, nice and quick, but how would the customers feel about that?

The keepers themselves are made easily and quick enough........just insy winsy belts, its the hand stitching/joining thats time consuming.

Thanks once again,

HS

G'Day Dwight,

I like that .

That may well be the only and quickest, and cheapest solution on large numbers of plain belts.

I'll still do nice fancy handstitched keepers on the custom belts though.

I sort of watched 'High Plains Drifter' Clint Eastwood this arvo in my workshop :cowboy: ....that was until I got interupted by a customer :)

Thanks for that

HS

HS

Great movie, it's a keeper ,(pun intended) LOL .

Good info. thanks.

peanut