quinatt

Quality Hole Punch Sets?

Hi, I am new to leathercraft and am still gathering all my tools. You guys have been of great help so far. I need to get a hole punch set and was wondering if someone could recommend something. I see that there are alot of poor quality sets out there that get bad reviews for being cheap steel or not being sharp. I don't mind cheap tools if they get the job done but I would rather not have to upgrade any time soon if possible. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Also looking for quality strap end punches

Hi Quinatt. I have C.S. Osborne hole punches and strap end punches. Very happy with them.

https://www.osborneleathertools.com/index.php

Edited by Anacott Steel

Weaver Leather makes some really nice ones that are not too expensive, I have a full set of the round punches, oval, bag and pointed end belt cutters, Did not buy them all at once but have gotten them over the years, really like them all. But with everything the price has gone up and are a little pricy these days.

Weaver punches are not cheap but well worth the money..Quality and I think they will sharpen them at no charge..

No matter what... you'll need to sharpen your punches if you go with some from more frugal sources. I think I got my set from Ebay or Harbor Freight and yes, I had to sharpen all of them. But since then they've worked very nicely.

You can also contact Bruce Johnson, he's a memeber here. He sells quality old tools, and keeps a current listing of his inventory on his website. http://brucejohnsonleather.com/content/ and

http://brucejohnsonleather.com/content/index.php/leather_tools_for_sale/leather-concho-punches-slot-punches-and-hole-punches/ for the punches.

I've several tools I've bought from him, including punches, and he'll send you an excellent tool that is clean and sharp.

Thanks you guys. These are all worth considering. I did have a hard time finding prices and product descriptions on the Weaver website so I'm still not sure what they have to offer. Osborne seems to always be a solid choice and thanks to the link to Bruce johnson's website. I like the idea of having older well made tools.

I'm not the greatest sharpener. What is the best way to sharpen these if I can ask?

Also, I plan on making a few belts. If I was to start out with only a few sizes to start with (2-3), could you guys suggest any sizes that are most frequently used for this type of project?

Hmm.

I've got Ivan's mini- and maxi- round punch sets and they work very well. I've given them a slight polish when I bought them, and I don't see any need to sharpen them and I've been using them for over a year now. For a price of one pro-quality drive punch you get a set that will meet all your needs. My reasoning was that if they last for at least a couple of years, then I can alway buy an Osborne set once my leatherwork starts bringing in the money.

Though I have only been using them on a nylon punching block. Using them on wood or a lead block will probably wear them out pretty quickly.

You can go for either Craftool or Ivan - not much difference between them.

PS Avoid new Dixon tools like plague!!!