Sign in to follow this  
cjcinin317

Magnets Instead Of Snaps.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=394285

Very cool new fastening system from Milt Sparks.

I like the holster but its really nothing new but the magnetic fastener are very interesting.

Not that the average holster maker could get ahold of them.

Getting snaps can be a challenge when you only need a few.

Happy Holidays

C.J.

Hi CJ,

A lot of us have been using magnets for a long time. The snap replacement in the picture is a circular magnet & a cup. They are available seperately at many of the magnet suppliers like : magnets4less ,,, and other too. I hope this helps,,, Ed

What I find as interesting as the magnets in the pictures is the condition of the edges on that holster.

What I find as interesting as the magnets in the pictures is the condition of the edges on that holster.

Didn't look good to me.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are going to be neodymium magnets are are very capable of ruining the strips on any kind of card you may have. These things are extremely strong. It won't be the magnet just being near your cards, but the act of passing them through the field they produce that can ruin the cards. Myth Busters had some fun with that subject.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't use them, but it's something to keep in mind if they are going to be placed near where a wallet will be pulled in/out of a pocket or something similar.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are going to be neodymium magnets are are very capable of ruining the strips on any kind of card you may have. These things are extremely strong. It won't be the magnet just being near your cards, but the act of passing them through the field they produce that can ruin the cards. Myth Busters had some fun with that subject.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't use them, but it's something to keep in mind if they are going to be placed near where a wallet will be pulled in/out of a pocket or something similar.

The post has a lot of warnings about using these types of magnets.

Being right handed I'm not sure how I would get my wallet out without passing over the holster.

Also everywhere I find that sells them uses only UPS for shipping with around a $15 minimum shipping cost.

I have great local sorce for Pull-the Dot snaps so I think I'll stick with them.

Still pretty cool but I see a lot of people possibly having issues with the magnets and the contents of their wallets.

C.J.

I have had lesser magnets kill a pocket watch. I sure would not want to pass an expensive watch like a Rolex or Omega past one. I was able to help the pocket watch with a demagnitizer but most people would have one.