tostrap

Adler 167?

Well, there are no other way to set up a needle position motor; It has to stop with the needle down. You cannot have it to stop up every time you release the pedal (then it releases the seam). It has to stop down a bit after BDC, when the hook has catches the top thread. The top position is when the thread take up is on the highest point, and not when the needle is in the top position. I use Efka motors on my machine, but the needle position timing principle is the same on them all.

Tor

Coming from the sewing world, needle up stop machines are quite common. I would not have thought that the needle stopping position would be too much of a problem for the stitch. Otherwise, surely you would not have the choice of settings. :-)

The only problem I can think of is tension on the thread at the top position, and to release the thread, you just turn the wheel slightly passed top position. The feet would be holding the work in place anyway, so it would not be moving around.

It's just more practical to stop it down.

Well, I do not want to complicate this for these guys. Of course there are aplications like in a factory where they stop up. I am telling them what is best for what we are doing here. And this setting would work best for anything else than production work. You would need your needle to stop down for turning a sharp corner. Going slow,with several stops a seam.

Tor

You are absolutely right about the practicality of stop down being best. I was just pointing out that it is not 'absolute' or critical, and that included non factory settings. :-)