Zacharyc

Curves.

I looked around for a while but couldnt find a good description of how to do it. I am doing one of the starter projects in a book and the pocket flap has curved edges on both sides. How do I get these curves even and neat? Ive come close but it always seems a little bit off.

post-36015-0-11500500-1357151195_thumb.j

In my opinion theres no quick, easy way to cut neat curves its just plenty of practice, get used to your knife, make sure its sharp & "trust it", my knife feels like a part of my hand now. Good luck & be patient, you will get there :)

I havent even started to cu it. Im still at the drafting stage. I cant get these curves to match up evenly on each side. It always appears off.

Zachary -

With something this light-weight, it's probably easier to use a pair of shears. Cut the sides straight, then fold the leather in half (line up the sides) and cut the resulting "half pattern". The other side will match.

use a french curve as a cutting template. If you buy a set, you're almost guaranteed to find an arc that matches. If not, it will be so close it won't really matter.

I just fold a piece of paper in half, draw the design on the paper, unfold the paper and trace it onto your leather.

Tree Reaper is right. Use a French Curve if you like, but just draw half of the flap, then flip that over and draw the other half exactly the same. That's how I do everything that has got to be the same on both sides.